Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 335 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    I am completely and utterly gobsmacked by the writing samples in this piece:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/06/e...-still-lack-rigor.html?_r=2&ref=nyregion

Truly, my second grader writes better than this:

"Even though their is no physical conflict withen each other. Their are jealousy problems between each other that each one wish could have."

That sentence apparently merits a 3 (passing) on scale of 1 to 6--for a student about to graduate from high school.

Last edited by ultramarina; 02/07/12 09:43 AM.
    Not surprising at all, sadly. My brother-in-law teaches a first level English college course and has had many students who were barely literate come through. And plenty who use 'txt-speech' for written essays!

~amy
    The essay is graded on a 1-6 scale, and the unintelligible drivel quoted above merits a 3, yet this scores a 4:

In life, “no two people regard the world in exactly the same way,” as J. W. von Goethe says. Everyone sees and reacts to things in different ways. Even though they may see the world in similar ways, no two people’s views will ever be exactly the same. This statement is true since everyone sees things through different viewpoints.

Ye gods.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    I am completely and utterly gobsmacked by the writing samples in this piece:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/06/e...-still-lack-rigor.html?_r=2&ref=nyregion

Truly, my second grader writes better than this:

"Even though their is no physical conflict withen each other. Their are jealousy problems between each other that each one wish could have."

That sentence apparently merits a 3 (passing) on scale of 1 to 6--for a student about to graduate from high school.

I read this article and thought about posting it here. To some extent the poor writing may be the result of poor teaching in K-12, but I think the primary cause is low intelligence in many students. About 1/6 of the population has IQ <= 85, and the writing samples may illustrate the thinking and writing that the left tail of the bell curve is capable of.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    A
    A
    These are worse than terrible. I could forgive atrocious spelling if the writer was trying to convey something germane and interesting. But there appears to be a serious lack of understanding.

Sad.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    To some extent the poor writing may be the result of poor teaching in K-12, but I think the primary cause is low intelligence in many students. About 1/6 of the population has IQ <= 85, and the writing samples may illustrate the thinking and writing that the left tail of the bell curve is capable of.

Low IQ would explain some of the poor writing, but it wouldn't explain the grading.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    To some extent the poor writing may be the result of poor teaching in K-12, but I think the primary cause is low intelligence in many students. About 1/6 of the population has IQ <= 85, and the writing samples may illustrate the thinking and writing that the left tail of the bell curve is capable of.

Low IQ would explain some of the poor writing, but it wouldn't explain the grading.

It does if it is politically unacceptable to flunk too many people out of high school. The political pressure to graduate everyone is increasing. In his latest State of the Union Address, the president told states they should require everyone to stay in high school until they graduate or turn 18.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    A
    A
    We have the same situation out here, Master of None. Last year in 5th grade, ds wrote more than 35 reports and essays, in additions to 5 speeches and 5 power point presentations. He had an amazing teacher.

This year in 7th grade he has written two reports.

Two years ago when dd was in this middle school, the students were writing in every class including P.E. Why? Because the state mandated writing tests and our district's scores are shameful. Most of these so-called writing samples were peer reviewed. The others were never returned and dd received zero feedback.

The writing frenzy stopped this year because the state cut the tests due to budget restraints.

Val Offline
    So, let me see if I understand correctly.

Children spend hours and hours doing all this writing and teacher doesn't check it?

And they wonder why the kids don't learn how to write?

And what does this say about the value of homework? How much other homework never gets checked?

frown

Last edited by Val; 02/07/12 03:32 PM.
    My senior AP English class couldn't correctly grade an essay in peer review (thankfully, the teacher gave his own grades). I shudder to think what elementary kids are doing to each other.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM