Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 371 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    S
    S
    Every child is different, and so is every family, so I hesitate to offer actual advice. But I can share our experience: We tried a "toddler preschool" co-op when my daughter was 18 months, and realized within a few weeks that it was a terrible idea. She is highly sensitive and very intense, like many gifted children, and at that age, like most toddlers, she was not very good at managing those things. The chaos of the environment, with all the noisy, active toddlers and hundreds of toys was overstimulating. She held herself together while she was there, usually by getting intently absorbed in one toy and ignoring everything around her, but as soon as preschool was over and we left she would fall apart emotionally, with wild or defiant behavior, tears, tantrums, etc.

We then tried a Waldorf parent-tot program, which was a completely different story though ultimately also unsuccessful. It was held at the teacher's lovely home, and the environment was subdued and quiet, with only a few toys made of natural materials. It proved a terrible fit as well but for different reasons. My daughter has always been extremely physically precocious, and she has a very active mind to match her active body. She would quickly grow impatient with the slow pace and simple, low-key play being offered, and instead would go romping through the house, exploring the off-limits areas if I turned my back for a minute, such as the upstairs bedrooms, the basement, even outside. I became very self-conscious about my child being the outlier kid who wouldn't play "normally" and didn't really fit in.

However, it was a very different story a year later (age 2 1/2) when we enrolled at an emergent-curriculum, mixed-age preschool that emphasizes social-emotional development. That year was fantastic for my daughter. Even though she began the year somewhat still in the "parallel play" stage, she still learned so much there about emotions and relationships by watching the older children and through the excellent emotion coaching the teachers did. As her play became more interactive, she was equipped with a great foundation since she had internalized all that learning. At this point, I would call her social skills and emotional awareness very good for an almost-4-year-old, and I credit the preschool. I don't know that keeping her in one of the toddler-age programs would have made much difference in that regard.

Of course, our problem now is that she's no longer the youngest in the mixed-age class. Instead of learning social skills she's mostly having to learn patience (over and over) because there are so many younger children who are still learning. Patience is a good thing to learn, but I am beginning to question the value of expecting a child that age to have to practice patience for hours and hours every week instead of getting to be engaged and stimulated herself. (For example, instead of bringing things for show-and-share day that truly excite her, she self-edits, choosing items based on what she thinks the "little kids" are capable of handling without destroying.) And all of this is a separate issue from that of cognitive development/learning, which has become highly problematic for us this year.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

P.S. I third the suggestion not to cut, or even loosen, the cord yet. Building a secure foundation in your relationship with your baby and toddler, letting them lead the way toward independence, really pays off later, I can attest from firsthand experience!

U
    U
    My completely unscientific opinion is that many children benefit from some sort of preschool by age 2.5 or 3, but that it is very unnecessary before then. By age 4 or 5, I think it is relatively important. I think kids need some experience with how group environments work before starting K.

G
    GHS Offline
    G
    DD (just turned 2) just started at a Montessori school for a few hours in the AM two mornings a week. I do not think she would have been ready to part from me any earlier and she still does cry at the initial drop off. That said, she talks about school every day and loves her teachers. I like that it gives her some time away from me with a different group of people and different things to do. Maybe start somewhere next fall but just one or two mornings a week. DD loves museums too much to send her to school every day. Other ideas are botanic gardens classes, Music Together or Kindermusik classes, mom/tot classes where you go with her (we go to one and have been since the fall, it was a good transition), museum classes... ect. Everything mentioned you go with your child but they can be pricy. An alternative is creating a learning play group with 1-2 moms where you each come up with a "lesson" for your week to host. Just some thoughts!

Last edited by GHS; 02/06/12 07:33 PM.
    B
    B
    DS started at 3 - 2 mornings a week. He would not have enjoyed it before then as he could not understand why the other children could not/did not talk and play like he did. He was always very careful and did not like the seemingly random acts of violence/impulsivity of the other toddlers. We did play groups etc but it was to be honest more for my benefit than his. At 3 he coped much better with other children(who were mostly 4-5) and his social confidence with kids really grew (always fine with adults). For a child with a different personality it might be completely different but I will always be happy he stayed home as long as he did.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM