Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 255 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Originally Posted by passthepotatoes
    What state are you talking about? Typically homeschools are allowed to grant diplomas. And, in higher regulation states there is also the option to work with an online or umbrella school to get an accredited transcript. There are many, many homeschoolers who have been graduated high school by their parents and have entered highly selective colleges on parent issued diplomas.

Well, I *was* talking about Louisiana, but in pulling up the relevant information I found that they updated the policy recently (Aug 2010), so nevermind. You still can't get a diploma from the state, but your home study program can issue a diploma which is just as recognized.

Originally Posted by BWBShari
    Lucouno,
    This is an article about it. The Home School Legal Defense Association has the full report.

Homeschool College Success

by Tammy Drennan

A new study, reports Home School Legal Defense Association � Exploring Academic Outcomes of Homeschooled Students,* by Michael F. Cogan shows that homeschoolers are not just succeeding in college, they�re continuing their above-average tradition.

Consider this:
    o Homeschoolers scored higher on the ACT (26.5) compared with the overall student body (25).
    o Homeschoolers earned more college credit (14.7) prior to their freshman year compared to the student body (6).
    o Homeschooled students earned a higher fall semester GPA (3.37) when compared to other freshman students (3.08).
    o Homeschooled students earned a higher first-year GPA (3.41) when compared to other freshman students (3.12).
    o Homeschooled students earned a higher fourth-year GPA (3.46) when compared to other freshman students who completed their fourth year (3.16).
    The evidence for independent education just keeps mounting. The evidence damning education by the state also keeps mounting.

As the state gasps and grasps, we must all help to keep the option of freedom before parents. If they don�t know it can work, if they don�t know how many others are doing it, they can�t make the choice.

* http://i.bnet.com/blogs/homeschool.pdf?tag=content%3Bcol1

Thank you very much. While I'm not pooh-poohing the study, I think it's important to think carefully about what these statistics show-- they are only for the University of St. Thomas, and obviously only for college admittees. The four-year completion rate for homeschoolers in the study is only 66%, for example, wherease for a top-tier university I'd expect to see it much higher. I also think it's likely that a lot of the study sample will have chosen that particular college for religious reasons, and it's possible that a particular religious viewpoint might boost one in the college admissions process (I am a complete know-nothing about such criteria for admission at religous institutions, though).

How much of this extrapolates to information about barriers facing homeschooled PG kids applying to top universities? It's hard to know. It's obvious that a properly motivated, properly prepared PG student shouldn't be lumped in with the ordinary students in considering these sorts of questions (so one may assume, for example, that a properly motivated PG student applying to St. Thomas would do quite well and do better even than those aggregate stats), and it's also true that some get into top universities. I'd also guess that homeschooling of PG kids is on the rise.

I would think that it's especially important to focus on resume building sorts of activities for a homeschooled child, especially one who is homeschooled to the end of high school. I'd also guess that some top universities are more open to homeschooled applicants than others. ETA: I noticed that the homeschooled kids had many more transfer credits than average.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by passthepotatoes
    What state are you talking about? Typically homeschools are allowed to grant diplomas. And, in higher regulation states there is also the option to work with an online or umbrella school to get an accredited transcript. There are many, many homeschoolers who have been graduated high school by their parents and have entered highly selective colleges on parent issued diplomas.

This is what I've seen locally too. Especially if you have a kid who has no problem testing well on a format like the SAT or ACT and has a rich resume with many activities/experiences. Parents definitely need to be on top of maintaining a "transcript" and enrolling in some structured classes can help.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM