Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    P
    P
    It's so much tougher with a school age child than a preschooler in so many ways... so much higher expectations by the school, and if school isn't working there are so few other options for child care. All of this sounds so stressful and like I said before it's clear you just want him to have an easier time.

I think I remember from a while back that he was on Trileptal, an anti-epileptic, what happened with that? Is he still on it or did that get stopped? And did the Concerta help at all? Usually when there is a diagnosis of adhd it seems like a psychiatrist usually tries a few different meds for it before giving up on that class of treatment. This more seems like they have tried one medication from each of three classes and then decided that what it treats must not be the root issue. I guess I get the sense the psychiatrist really isn't sure what is going on with him and is kind of doing medication trials to see if that will help narrow down what is going on, do you feel like that? Better than asserting a exact diagnosis of course if they are in the dark, but makes it really confusing.

For the immediate future, what about a babysitter that could pick him up from school at lunch each day, just reduce the amount of time at school, too expensive? Or maybe a family style daycare would take him full time for some respite from school? Just seems hard to imagine him getting through the rest of the year at school while adjusting to these medication changes.

I second the idea to call your pediatrician and get their input also.

Polly

Originally Posted by Polly
    I second the idea to call your pediatrician and get their input also.

It depends on the level of knowledge of pediatricians with respect to psychiatric/psychological issues.

I don't think pediatricians generally focus much time in the more exotic psychological/psychiatric issues. Some even have a problem with the more standard ones.

epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    We actually started with the ped, they refer out issues like this through either the children's hospital's behavioral program or through a local place called the Child Study Center. Neither place is covered by our insurance, and to have him assessed there would cost well over $1500, not to mention any treatment they recommended. We did get this psychiatrists name from them and he is highly recommended. I had never been to a psychiatrist before, and at first I was kind put off by him. My husband has been to several over the years (because of his ADHD) and he really likes this psychiatrist.

My husband picked up DS right when school got out today, instead of having him go to after school care like normal. I think we are going to try to do that when we can. I am going to get the paperwork tomorrow from the VP to have DS evaluated by the school, but she says that will likely take about 60 days. I also requested info from the private school I mentioned, so we'll see how that goes and if it's possible to get him there (or elsewhere) this school year.

Last edited by epoh; 01/25/12 05:41 PM.

~amy
    just thinking of you Epoh....how's it going?

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    It's been good. Since he started the risperadol he's been CALM. Not any different personality-wise, just calmer. I asked him if he felt any different yesterday and he responded "No. I am just calmer now." smile Friday he had no incidents at school and I am hoping Monday goes as well.

Last edited by epoh; 01/29/12 05:32 PM.

~amy
    P
    P
    SO very good to hear!

U
    U
    great news!

Great news!!

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard