Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Hello -
    You all were so helpful to me and my husband as we were trying to find a good educational fit for our kids. A brief recap - we have a 1 1/2 year old daughter and a 3 year old son. The three-year-old was acting out in a local ("highly acclaimed") preschool where we had good reason to suspect that his needs weren't being met. We switched him to a local Montessori and it's been happy days ever since. He hasn't acted out (pushing or hitting other kids) once since the change. We also enrolled our 1 1/2 year old in the pre-primary program.

We observed the classrooms for the first time this morning. Both children are clearly happy and calm at the school, it's really great. The directress said that our son is doing 6 year old works and she is already needing to find additional more challenging works for him as well. Our daughter is surprising everyone that she is already knows her phonics, counts to 50+ (backwards too), and is doing some reading.

My husband and I have been doing much reading and learning about gifted education since I first posted here. We've come to understand/suspect that our children are highly and perhaps profoundly gifted. We've known that the local public schools would not be accommodating (overcrowded, not much gifted program, no skipping allowed). So we've been shopping around for a nice public school system, and also just a better community in general.

We think we found the right community - one which will meet a lot of our needs better as a family. We've made an offer on a house, and are waiting to hear a response. The schools there are considered to be in the top 100 districts in the midwest, and excellent for the vast majority of children. Will they work for our kids? That I don't know. But the community itself offers a much better environment for all four of us.

The location is also a 30 minute drive to a private gifted-only school, however I am not convinced that arrangement would be any better that the public schools in the new community. There is a university-sponsored weekend enrichment program for gifted kids (starting in pre-k!) within easy driving distance from this new community, so we will try to take advantage of those opportunities.

In all of our reading and observation, we've learned that when kids are at a certain level of giftedness, there are really NO schools that can fully accommodate them. At least, not anywhere I've found or have the means to send them to. So we figured that a generally great school district with lots of enrichment options would be a good move. We just pray we are right. We're making the best decision we can with the info we have. Plus, this new community will just be better for all of us in general. It'd be a good move even if schools weren't in the equation at all.

I know schooling will only get more difficult and more complicated as the kids get older. I'm very nervous about being able to meet their needs. My son, especially. He's a wonderful well behaved child when he's engaged in something that challenges him. When he's bored, he get's pretty goofy. wink He may be very advanced intellectually, but emotionally he is very much a three-year-old.

I'm not sure how much longer they'll be able to keep him busy at the Montessori - but he has a fantastic teacher that is really working with his unique circumstances. She told us that she brought in some 7 and 8 year old level math works for him and she lets him read more advanced books as well. He's so happy there! (Thank GOODNESS!!!)

Our 1 1/2 year old told us this morning "I don't want to go to Montesorri, it's for babies!" D'oh!! She's in a classroom of 18 month to 3 year olds. She's one of the youngest, but does *seem* a lot older than the others. She's generally very thrilled to be there, though, so hopefully that statement of protest this morning was just a fleeting emotion. Her teacher is also working hard to keep her busy and challenged.

Whew! Long post! Anyway, I just wanted to post an update since it was thanks to friendly advice here that we even tried the Montessori. I can see how the experience at a Montessori would very much depend on the individual teachers... and we are very fortunate have a excellent ones that are up to the task of keeping the kids challenged.

C
    C
    Glad it worked out. Montessori helped my 2 boys as well.

DS9 - Starting 9th grade
    DS7 - Starting 5th grade
    E
    E
    Sweetpeas--
    I'm feeling just as worried about my very gifted children as you are. Will they find classmates who get them? Will their teachers understand where they are coming from and what they need? Our children are so able and yet, will they find they need to hide their abilities to fit in? I think about my experiences as a gifted child and how I felt isolated. My DD is smarter than I am and I have no idea what she is going to encounter. I want to help her out as much as I can, but determining what is help and what is a hindrance is proving difficult! It's nice this forum exists. It counters the isolation of having very gifted children.
    EB

K
    K
    Sweetpeas---

DS (3 years 10 months) is in his second week of Montessori and so far (fingers crossed), it has been a good match. We noticed right away that the teachers have observed things about his learning styles and areas of strength that his prior preschool teachers never seemed to "get." (The teacher described how our son, who likes to know how things work, was examining the latches on one of the supply cabinets. Instead of scolding him or redirecting him, she watched him and later noted: "When he got his answer, he went back to his work.")

Like you, I'm worried about what happens next, or even what happens if he "outgrows" the Montessori school. We live in a high performing school district, and I worry we'll be told they "enrich" for all children...when right now DS is working at least several years ahead of his chronological age. (I'm trying to take it one step at a time, but it's hard not to worry.)

Any chance you are talking about the Saturday programs at Northwestern Center for Talent Development? We're in the area and planning on getting DS tested once he turns four so we can participate in the Saturdays and summer experiences.

If you happen to be moving to 'burbs of Chicago, feel free to send a PM...maybe we could compare notes!

We tried montessori for DS when he was 4 and he ran through their material so quickly they didn't know what to do with him. Starting your son earlier has bought you some time at least.

We live in NM which is ranked 49th in education. In spite of this, we have been able to put together a plan that works for our son. Our primary mode of operation involves grade skipping as there are NO G/T programs here. He is accelerated 5-7 years dependent on subject at a very small prep type charter that covers 6th-12th grade. The school is locted on the campus of our university and offers dual enrollment as well.

My point to all of this is that it isn't necessarily about being in a good district. The most important thing is having a school that throws out all of their preconceived notions about grade levels and ages and just dives in. We have meetings whenever anyone wants one. Teachers, admin or myself can request a meeting and it generally happens within a week. None of us has a clue as to how to deal with high school credits and right now, it doesn't matter. Push comes to shove, he can always take the GED. They put him the classes that work regardless of grade level.

Try to stay flexible, plans for these amazing little people can change in an instant. Don't think more than a year aead, it'll just make you crazy and always listen to your "mommy gut" when trying to decide what comes next.

Keep us posted!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Kathie --PM sent! wink

The program we are looking at is http://www.centerforgifted.org/ - through Northern Illinois University. Northwestern's program looks good too. It may be too far of a drive, but we might be able to make it happen if it's a really great program.

Last edited by sweetpeas; 01/17/12 10:38 PM.
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    "Try to stay flexible, plans for these amazing little people can change in an instant. Don't think more than a year aead, it'll just make you crazy and always listen to your "mommy gut" when trying to decide what comes next."

Wow - that is great advice! I'm e-mailing that to my husband (and copying myself so I can refer to it)! Thank you for that perspective. I think I have been making myself crazy trying to think too far in advance. I'm such a planner, but this is one area where I think I'll need to let go of that a bit more.

A
    A
    If your 1 1/2 year old is in a classroom that only goes up to 3 yrs old, she may be frustrated that there is no one to really talk to. Most kids that age don't have great verbal skills, and that might be driving some of the frustration and the feeling that it is for babies.

We have a Montessori school here that goes through 8th grade. I've been looking hard at it, trying to figure out if there is any way we could afford it. (We possibly could for DS, but there's no way we could afford to send DD as well!)

~amy
    This thread has slowly arrived at the place where I want to chime in. One of the things I wish someone had told me when my children were small was... these kids are expensive. Maybe it's because I am indulgent--which I am--but maybe it's because they are so able to learn new things so quickly that you want to "feed" that hunger. When we first bought our house, we stretched a little to get into a "great school district". Have we ever used said district? Sure... for a couple of years. But really we've paid for private school. and Online school. And "tutor/mentors". We've spent thousands of dollars on what some would call enrichment which for us has just been trying to keep our children's minds satisfied.

I've finally looked around the 'hood and realized that the other children don't ask their parents for violin lessons at age 4, or clamor to do "more math now!, mommy".

I know folks on this list who have probably spent 4x what we have...and others who have taken a different tack, but I imagine that we can all agree that the potential to spend and spend is great.

If I had to do it all again, I'd buy much less house, but probably still in our same community.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM