Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 250 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I emailed the gifted coordinator for the district back before the winter break and never hear back. I just emailed her again yesterday. Checking my PMs.

~amy
    My DD was given the RIAS, and her verbal/visual splits were pretty similar to what you've shown here. And though I've never been formally tested, I have informal overall IQ test results that match hers, and her brain so far seems to work just like mine. We seem to understand each other VERY well.

So, based on my own personal experience, I'd say the best way to improve a V/S learner's verbal processing ability is reading. It's a visual presentation of verbal information, so it's right up his alley. The more he reads, the more easily he processes language visually. And then, when people speak, he utilizes those same processes. When he speaks, he might also find himself writing his words visually across his brain, then reading them out.

At this stage of the game, I don't even notice I'm doing it anymore, but I remember it being a very apparent process when I was in elementary school. Every once in a while I'm given a reminder, when someone tells me their name and I can't picture it.

This is just an anecdotal, unscientific suggestion from someone who may or may not work the way your son does, so feel free to disregard.

epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Dude - thanks. He does enjoy reading, as do I. During the school week (after homework) he's always either reading or playing w/his legos. He finished the Diary of a Wimpy kid series already (got the latest book @ Christmas) and is now on book 2 of Harry Potter.

~amy
    P
    P
    Amy, fwiw, my ds has a split in his VIQ vs PRI on the WISC, and it *flipped* between 2nd and 5th grade - in his case he had a higher VIQ in 2nd grade, but a higher PRI in 5th grade. Our neuropsych told us that as long as the discrepancies are less than 1 SD they don't read too much into it. I can't tell if your ds' split is greater than 1 SD since you've just got percentiles listed. Also, fwiw I agree with the point Dude made about reading - our ds was a really really advanced reader in 2nd grade, but by the time he was in 5th grade he was spending considerably less time reading (he fits the profile of a stealth dyslexic in many ways). Our ds is definitely without a doubt a visual/spatial kid.

Also, just fwiw, our ds is one of those EG kids who scores consistently high on WISC/WJ-III yet was only in the 70th percentile on the CogAT. After I picked myself off the floor at that result and did a little googling, I found there are quite a few high-IQ kids who don't have consistent results on the CogAT.... so I'd recommend not worrying about it too much!

polarbear

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader