Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 303 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #119856 01/11/12 11:26 PM
    OP Offline
    I learned that perserverance pays off. DS10, turns 11 next week took the DAS II yesterday. Has been tested in school twice for GT and was told he "barely qualified". We went to a private neuropsychologist and got these results:

GCA 155
    Nonverbal/spatial 162

What to do now?

M
    M
    The na-na-na-na dance as you thumb your nose at school? I know that's not terribly useful, but it's certainly what I felt like doing when I got DDs test results.

Those are some pretty out there numbers. Do you have achievement data? Time for your DYS app (that's the more useful advice).

T
    T
    I'm not familiar with that assessment but I'm assuming from the large numbers that its pretty high. As the previous poster said...do the nananana dance (in your head) --- I know I sure as heck did after my sons testing this summer for all those who told me I was crazy! ------ and then start looking at ways you can help him, DYS, etc Good luck on your journey!

OP Offline
    Oh ya Mum & tjm, we did the na na dance! How many of us out there have had similar frustrations? We KNOW our kids and its so maddening sometimes to deal with the school system when they don't see what we see in our childern. Having the numbers really validates what we knew all along. The DAS II is one of the three IQ tests Davidson Academy accepts (also SB-5 and WISC IV) for admission and our tester is one of the psych consulatants for DA. The DAS II seems to be well suited for kids stronger in the nonverbal but doesn't seem to be as well-known as the other IQ tests. Guess it really IS important to find a private tester with knowledge about gifted testing and find the test that will show your DCs strengths.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations