Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 292 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    T
    T
    My kids have had access to computers since about age 2, but DS8 was just given by my father this summer his own laptop (albiet a slow one but it works none the less for the time being). Our 5 year old twins have access to my old laptop. As of recently we have instituted a time earning system for electronics though to readjust entitlement attitudes and get them outdoors in the fresh air more often.

I don't think its a bad idea, but I'd think at 2 an ipad would be a good choice, or tablet with interesting apps. All our kids love the ipad, iphones, and itouches and have for many years. There are so many great apps! I do have to say the laptop was the main reason I survived DS8 as a 2 year old, while I was pregnant with twins...I don't think computers are a mistake as long as they don't become the childs only reason for living.

A
    A
    My kids have always had access to computers. Here are a few pointers as you consider what to get:

Macs have parental controls built into all of their computers. You can decide how many hours a day your child can use it, what programs can be accessed, what is the earliest it can be turned on in the morning and what time it automatically shuts off at night. You can filter contacts - if any, websites, etc. For a toddler, this will be imperative if you plan to allow your child to use the computer without you sitting right there.

IPod Touches are a good size for little fingers and not horribly expensive if it's dropped, cracking the screen. iPads are a better viewing size but are a bit wieldy for a toddler to hold or carry. If you go this route, invest in a heavy-duty case that will absorb the shock of being dropped. One other thing to consider is that less software is currently available for an iPad than a computer, but the tactile interface is user-friendly.

iPads & Touches have some parental controls in the form of restricting the browser and a few main apps as well as whther multi-player games can be accessed, but it is not by specific users on the device, it applies to the entire device. To my knowledge Kindle Fire has no parental controls although a recent software update does allow you to add a password to access the device.

My kids have had access to computers since they were born, and other than making sure parental controls protected them from inappropriate content and setting up opening and closing hours so the youngest didn't stay up all night, we've found they've moderated themselves time-wise because it wasn't forbidden fruit.

H
    H
    Originally Posted by ABQMom
    To my knowledge Kindle Fire has no parental controls although a recent software update does allow you to add a password to access the device.

Off-topic: I lost exclusive control on my iPhone when DS figured out how to unlock it.

We've also never restricted our DS6 to our computers either and DS6 has had limited access to computers since he was born as well. We've got a Mac laptop and desktop but don't even use the parental controls yet. I haven't bought an iPad yet for our ds, but might do in the foreseeable future. I was actually using the Mac laptop and various YouTube videos with my DS around 2 yrs to get him to do various therapies and as a reward system.

I'd agree with some of the pointers from the above poster. I'd also add that you might want to ensure clean hands when using any technology.

One of the benefits of having a laptop or desktop (or iPad) in a family/living room in the open is that you can monitor what videos or websites your child is on without helicoptering. I have found that my son is more interested in the genuine Cyberchase videos than a fake. If he somehow stumbles across an inappropriate site, I ask if that's what he wants or question whether he should be somewhere else online without trying to make a big deal about it. Unfortunately, even with YouTube videos on Cyberchase, your child may be exposed to inappropriate language posted by someone, which I try to ignore and pray my son doesn't notice or care about.

I believe instilling some time limits with computers (and television) and have found this more problematic than protecting my son from inappropriate content.

The good news is that there are tons of computer programming, games, etc. online now for early ages. If interested, MIT has a ton of stuff for the kindergarten - http://llk.media.mit.edu/projects.php

We haven't tried Scratch or other computer programming stuff yet, but I think my son's school uses it or is trying it out this year. I should mention that his school is a private/gifted one from pre-k to 8th grade with an emphasis on technology. The kids Skype and use the Macs every day for math, reading, programming, or etc.

I know Starfall, ixl math, and many others are good for the early ages. My son's been using them at school. PBS Kids (http://pbskids.org/) is good and safe too.

I certainly didn't set out to teach my son digital technology or plan anything formally. My son started off watching YouTube videos while I tried to get him to do therapy and then over time he's been teaching himself how to use the laptop/desktop and navigate the Internet himself.

Make sure the hands are clean before using any technology though smile!

U
    U
    Khan Academy is awesome--a fantastic resource. As for Starfall, though, I never saw a need for it. It was fun, but nothing I couldn't provide myself.

I certainly feel that computers and the Internet are amazing resources. However, I think a child who had no access till 5-7 wouldn't miss much, and I also think a child who was unlimited access CAN overdo it quite seriously. I was at a relative's house recently where the kids are on YouTube and various junk sites almost constantly and I was struck by how little actual playing these kids were doing.

We enjoy an occasional YouTube video and DD sometimes plays on Webkinz (eh) or educational sites, but I still feel my kids' lives are very rich without much of it, at this age. Later, they will need it and use it. Although--this year DD has started using Google in earnest for school research projects, and I am generally unimpressed with what is available for kids her age in terms of good, nonjunky, curated, factual content.

D
    D
    My daughter (34 months) loves her i-pad. We have a lot of educational apps for her to play with. Unfortunately, it doesn't run flash, so it wont do starfall. She is able to navigate the menus of the apps just fine, and exit apps, start new ones, etc. We haven't taught her how to use safari nor youtube on her own.

She can also use a regular laptop with a touch-pad to a limited degree. She knows about getting the pointer over something and clicking, and dragging, but she is much better with the i-pad. Still, if I bring up starfall, I can leave her alone with it for a while.

IXL is better on the i-pad than a laptop because of the zoom capability.

Softschool is another site similar to IXL that's good for practicing things you already know, but doesn't really teach.

Of course, tablets are kind of fragile. My daughter is very calm, and understands that it's breakable, but I still worry. Children make mistakes, and aren't really known for taking good care of things.

I have thought about getting an old tough-book that would stand up to abuse. I'm not sure what the future holds. For now she seems content with her apps on the i-pad, and having someone set her up with games on a laptop.

Ultramarina: On the topic of what 5-7yos might miss, you might find it interesting to know that my state has some Grade Level Expectations around the use of technology for those ages:

<snip>

Pre-K

- Identify a computer mouse and its purpose (i.e., to navigate the screen)

K

- Use a computer mouse to navigate the screen
    - Identify that a computer has a keyboard to enter information
    - Use technology to produce class work

1st Grade

- Locate information using the organization features of various media, including:
    � the keyboard to enter information on a computer
    � a picture dictionary
    - Use technology to publish class work such as research questions and answers

2nd Grade

- Locate information using the organizational features of texts, including:
    � URL addresses from the Web
    � title pages
    � glossaries
    � indices
    � tables of contents
    � chapter headings
    - Locate information about a topic from a variety of sources, including children�s magazines, children�s encyclopedias, and electronic references
    - Use technology to publish a variety of works, including simple research reports and book summaries
    - Tell and write about the sources of learned information

U
    U
    Sorry. I am just not worried. DD didn't learn to use a mouse till probably late 4 or 5. It took her like half an hour. She is 7 now and navigates Google just fine, thanks. She can hunt and peck just fine and I will give her a keyboarding program sometime soon. She knows about URLs--you can't not know about web addresses by 7 if your parents use the computer around you. I mean, the laptop is out and in use all the time, but not by her, generally. She is allowed to use the desktop for a half hour or so a day if she wants to, but she doesn't ask very much.

Again, I am not not not not NOT worried that my kids will not be highly net-literate in good time. They are surrounded by it.

U
    U
    And as I say, she's started using the computer for school research projects....but I think it's a pretty lame source for a lot of kids' research, at this age. So much time gets wasted, though I suppose that's a lesson in and of itself.

U
    U
    DD also has access to various educational sites for school--she has a username and so on. They are almost worse than useless, IMO. Partly because they're too easy and she has to complete the grade-level stuff to advance, but really--slow, buggy, menh. The reading texts are dull as dishwater and the comprehension questions are classic regurgitation.

Again, I do think there is some great stuff out there, but there is also SO much stuff that is kind of substandard and is also laden with ads. We accept it and even encourage it because it's fun and colorful and the kids enjoy it. But great educational content? I haven't seen all that much of it. Some, but it's a small percentage. You're welcome to prove me wrong. I'd actually like to have some better sites for DD to go to. We like some Nat Geo and Discovery content, freerice, some of the cool animal and bird sites. I do agree that learning to program is great and that some of the creative enablers (video software, etc) are great tools. OI just downloaded Scratch because that also seems like a great one.

Last edited by ultramarina; 01/11/12 09:46 AM.
    Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM