Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    Thanks everyone!

It looks like I'm going to need to fire up the DVR and see what will work for our son (and I can tolerate). He'll sit through Sesame Street, but he's reading and somewhat advanced in math, so he's beyond the letter of the day/basic counting.

I forgot to mention Scooby Doo. Although not educational, it's pretty harmless, and it was my DS's FAVORITE at your DS's age until about a year ago. You can pick up dvd's with the original episodes, probably at the library too. And after everything listed here, Phineas and Ferb is my all-time favorite for once your kiddo starts elementary school. Enjoyable for parents too!

P
    P
    DS4 is scared of scooby doo, the graphics or music is sort of too suspenseful for him at times.

His TV interests have officially deviated from my wishes: his new favorite show is Finding Bigfoot on Animal Planet (cringe for lack of actual content). Seems excited by a career in cryptozoology. Followed by Kung Foo Panda and Tom & Jerry (cringe for animated violence). Nothing much educational about those. Redeemingly, he also loves most any nature video, especially BBC ones.

Polly

Last edited by Polly; 01/08/12 08:14 PM.
    S
    S
    My daughter is the same age. Among kids' shows, she loves Dinosaur Train (which has more educational value than it may first appear, teaching not just paleontology facts but scientific method as well as emotion self-awareness and other things). Mister Rogers is also a favorite, though that show is harder to find.

But her absolute favorite shows are the David Attenborough wildlife series (Life of Birds, Life in the Undergrowth, Life in the Freezer, etc.). The way they are produced makes them even more accessible and appealing to preschoolers than most nature shows. If your child is even remotely interested in animals or nature, give them a look. She also loves ballet movies -- if you have a child who loves fairytales, music, or dance that might be something less obvious to try.

She went through a Sid the Science Kid phase but has outgrown that show, though, unlike other posters, I do think it's pretty good for reaching children at a particular level. Ditto for Caillou. Could never get her interested in Super Why or Word World or any other PBS shows. Not sure why!

Jenny

We have DVD's that are shows not available on tv. I got them through Amazon.

My son likes the Rock 'N Learn series and also the Mathacular! DVD's. I'm considering Liberty's Kids for his birthday.

D
    D
    We see a lot of our old favorites in this thread: Sid, Dinosaur Train, Mr. Rogers, WordWorld, (did anyone say SuperWhy?)

They are variably annoying, but none have commercials, so I was okay to let them watch the half hour of TV while I went to take a shower.

At that age, DS liked to watch the same episode of a NG special about the Galapogos over and over . . . he even had a particular snack that he liked to eat while watching that show. His request for a Kashi chewy granola bar and the show came out as: "have a sticky mama cookie and watch the swimming lizards."

I miss that age.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM