Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #119447 01/06/12 03:15 AM
    R
    Raddy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    looking at History courses - but any really - and i came across this:
    http://www.greatcourses.co.uk/greatcourses.aspx

Anybody used them?
    Are there other similar courses available?

Raddy #119451 01/06/12 05:04 AM
    C
    C
    Yes, we have many courses from them, and most are great. For history, the best we've had so far was Bob Brier's History of Ancient Egypt. Overall that prize probably goes to the Particle physics for non-physicists: A Tour of the Microcosmos, which your DS might love as much as mine did! Joy of Maths and Maths of the Visual World are also fun, and various others that I'm not remembering now...

The only disrecommendations I have so far are for the high-school chemistry course (which starts with a presumption that you hate chemistry but need something to get you through the exam) and the Nature of Earth intro to geology one, which has way too many mistakes in basic physics to be recommendable, even though it is enjoyable.

PS Make sure you understand their rolling sale policy - basically, never buy anything that isn't on sale, a sale will be along shortly!

Last edited by ColinsMum; 01/06/12 05:05 AM.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Raddy #119453 01/06/12 05:36 AM
    R
    Raddy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Colinsmum thanks

I'm looking at the history subjects - for IGCSE or whatever since he has a good grasp of the medieval/classical

Hiow technical are the joy of maths and maths of the visual world?

offer is 3 for 2 at the moment until 26.1 so I will browse then buy

Raddy #119455 01/06/12 06:02 AM
    C
    C
    Joy of Maths is very easy and entertaining (mostly number theory). Visual World is more technical and the professor is less bouncy, but it's still accessible IME.

G
    G
    We've got the Joy of Mathmatics out from the library right now. DS is loving it, and is pointing out that many of the topics are covered in Number Devil. I took discrete math and linear algebra from that guy! Also, if you like his style, look for his TED talks.

DD has enjoyed the Cosmos one (Tyson), and like ColinsMum, we returned an Earth one, but due to sheer boredom. I didn't watch enough to see errors of physics. I'm surprised, though, because both guys that do the earth sci sets know their stuff. We also really enjoyed one on the Renaissance, though right now I can't think exactly which one.

Not the question, but I have noted in the past how few women are represented in the Great Courses lectures, they are lecturers at a rate far below national averages in professorships in the US.

Raddy #119462 01/06/12 07:55 AM
    P
    P
    These courses look fabulous, particularly Joy of Mathmatics. Do you mind me asking how old your child is/was and what their math level was when they enjoyed this course?

C
    C
    IIRR mine was 6 when we watched this, and his maths level was more than needed. My guesstimate would be that the course would be enjoyed by an 11yo (or older child or adult of course!) who was enthusiastic but not necessarily advanced, or by a younger child who was advanced.

Last edited by ColinsMum; 01/06/12 08:17 AM. Reason: clarity

Raddy #119473 01/06/12 09:42 AM
    M
    M
    We have been using the Great Courses. I have to agree about Brier's courses my DS LOVES him. He did Pharaohs course in two days because I made him stop. Bob Brier loves what he does and it does come through in his lectures. Arthur T Benjamin as well (Joy of Math).

Yes do wait for the sales I get them for as low as 20.00 and at this point, since it's my first year Homeschooling I have really done well in the collection part.

Thinkwell (John Hopkins) also has their courses on CD if you want them that way.

I need a GOOD Physical Science program that doesn't weigh too much on the creation side.

G
    G
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    IIRR mine was 6 when we watched this, and his maths level was more than needed. My guesstimate would be that the course would be enjoyed by an 11yo (or older child or adult of course!) who was enthusiastic but not necessarily advanced, or by a younger child who was advanced.

I think there's a lot to get out of it at a variety of levels. DS and I have both enjoyed them. DS is 6 and operating at a level of second to sixth grade, depending on your lens. He is getting a lot less out of it than I am, and at a different level, but still loving it. I bet that if our schools don't squeeze the love of math out of him, by the time he's 10-11, he'll enjoy them again.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations