Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=95836&page=1#.TwCBvzW0zNV
    Court OKs Barring High IQs for Cops
    New London, Conn., Sept. 8
    ABC News

A man whose bid to become a police officer was rejected after he scored too high on an intelligence test has lost an appeal in his federal lawsuit against the city.

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York upheld a lower court�s decision that the city did not discriminate against Robert Jordan because the same standards were applied to everyone who took the test.

�This kind of puts an official face on discrimination in America against people of a certain class,� Jordan said today from his Waterford home. �I maintain you have no more control over your basic intelligence than your eye color or your gender or anything else.�

He said he does not plan to take any further legal action.

Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took the exam in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125. But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.

Most Cops Just Above Normal The average score nationally for police officers is 21 to 22, the equivalent of an IQ of 104, or just a little above average.

<end of excerpt>

I don't know of research showing that a high IQ reduces performance in any kind of job.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    He should have used his relatively high intelligence to figure out how to hack the test so he scored within the range of what they were looking for in intelligence.

Maybe they used high intelligence as a pretext, but really just didn't want to print the nametags reading "Officer SPAM", sensitive over porcine terms previously applied to their number. Unfortunately, I don't think pigs are a protected class either, going by the bacon on my plate this morning.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    He should have used his relatively high intelligence to figure out how to hack the test so he scored within the range of what they were looking for in intelligence.
    Maybe he wasn't aware that appearing too smart would bar him from consideration.

I know that I've run into more than one interview where I've been flat out told that the interviewer thought I'd find the job unchallenging. I suspect that interviewers often conduct an informal assessment of whether the person seems to be smarter than the average employee and reject candidates who seem either much more or less intelligent than the typical employee there. I've debated removing my Masters degree from my resume and modifying my speech patterns to see if that makes me appear more like the type of employee that gets hired faster, apparently.

B
    B
    It's an intriguing notion, that employment in a field should be limited to people within the range of the average ability within that field. It does make me wonder if this police department would hire, as a detective, a police officer of higher intelligence who had gained his or her beat experience in another city, or if their detectives are also limited to average intelligence.

At one time in Taiwan, your college entrance exam results determined not only which college you could attend (and everybody in Taiwan seemed to know and agree upon the rankings) but what your major would be. As it was explained to me, people who landed in a particular range of scores would study architecture, for example, whether or not they showed any particular aptitude for that kind of work.

Whether or not there is an official policy, I am certain that there are HG and PG folks who cannot rise through the levels of their organization because of a tacit and unconscious version of this policy. Management is usually chosen from people with cognitive abilities close enough to most of their employees that they are perceived to have "soft skills" or "interpersonal ability". And there is probably an even larger group of PG and HG folks that would not touch a management position with a 3 meter pole because they find trying to relate to people of average intelligence* all day, every day to be exhausting.

*on a level that is perceived to be meaningful

This article brought back a few bad memories growing up....we were really, really poor. My dad didn't make enough money to support us and my mom kept trying to get a job, she wouldn't get the job or would later be let go (this happened at the Post Office) because and I quote "your too smart for this position" was the most common thing she heard. She ended up going back to school and was excepted into nursing school, graduated at 42 and worked 25 years as an ER nurse..

so all turned out ok but the fact that she couldn't even get(keep) a job to help feed us when we were little because of her IQ was really disturbing

J
    J
    It is possible he wasn't hired as a policeman b/c he was 49 years old. Maybe too old?

B
    B
    The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) forbids age discrimination against people who are age 40 or older.

Val Offline
    He took the test in 1996, when he was in his 30s.

I find this story to be incredibly depressing. The idea that it's okay to discriminate against someone because he's smart/got a high score on a test is obscene. Isn't that what you want?

I don't even know how the court could justify it rationale that the same standards were applied to everyone who took the test.

What if a standard for the job had been "Must be a man"? The same standard would have been applied to everyone in that case too.

Last edited by Val; 01/01/12 04:29 PM. Reason: [SPAM]
    The reasoning goes roughly like this:

* Highly intelligent people are not in a "protected class" under federal constitutional law
    * Because of that, discrimination can occur on the basis of high intelligence as long as the government or other covered entity can articulate a "rational basis" for their decision to do so
    * There is no other source of federal law that forbids discrimination against highly intelligent people in hiring

The standard is higher (and called intermediate scrutiny) for gender-based discrimination.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM