Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 170 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    B
    B
    [quote=LNEsMom]"The tricky part of it is figuring out when giftedness, ADHD, and SPD occur together and when one thing is being confused with the other. If your DS has an ADHD dx I would suggest learning about the sensory seeking behaviors as well as the avoiding ones that you mentioned above. He may be exhibiting both, but the seeking behaviors are interpreted as part of the ADHD. I believe that SPD kids may often be misdiagnosed with ADHD by someone not familiar with SPD."

Although my DS8 has a dx SPD and ADHD, I believe the diagnostic symptoms that qualified him as ADHD truly stem from his sensory issues. His sensory seeking behaviors were interpreted by his Ped and the school Psych as hyperactivity. We were fortunate that the school OT suggested we have him evaluated for SPD.(also called Developmental Coordination Disorder). He may be AD, or the EF difficulties may only be caused by the sensory issue. It makes no difference really now that we have a plan that addresses his specific needs. A great explanation of the disorder and therapy can be found in "Sensational Kids: Hope and Help for Children With Sensory Processing Disorder" by Lucy Jane Miller. Also here's a SPD link I found helpful and a link to an article discussing the "SPD or ADHD?" question.
    www.spdfoundation.net
    www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/793.html
    This therapy really turned our world around.
    Best wishes.
    (er...how do y'all work that quote box?)

Last edited by boy4sure; 12/20/11 06:20 PM.
    A
    A
    SPD and Developmental Coordination Disorder are entirely separate from each other (although some people with type II SPD do have coordination problems), but features of both are common in individuals on the autism spectrum, particularly those with Asperger's.

ETA: To work the quote box, the quoted text goes between the [ quote= user name ] and the [ /quote ] tags. Or you can just hit the "quote" link instead of "reply" at the bottom of the post you are replying to, and then delete everything you don't want to go in the quote box. Just be sure not to delete the closing tag. smile

Last edited by aculady; 12/20/11 07:20 PM.
    B
    B
    aculady- thank you for the correction and clarification...and the quote box info.

B
    B
    My MG ds9 has SPD and wears a hoodie or jacket a lot in school. We pay attention to the texture and feel of his clothes-tags are removed immediately- he vacillates between sensory seeking and avoiding-his issues are propioceptive( not sure about spelling), vestibular and tactile. The book Out of Sync Child is what led me to getting him tested- which we did at 7. If a child grabs his shirt around the neck. The OT explained he REALLY feels like someone is trying to kill him(choke him) and has reacted very aggressively. Once we realized what was going on it really helped- the school knows and they look for the trigger IF there are any issues.. He loves deep pressure but even today he said he does not like for people to touch him unless it is his family- I think we just know how to do it right. For years before we knew about SPD we coslept- it was the only way he would sleep- he needed to be snuggled. Now I know he needed the pressure. We have a 504 but have never used it- I have it just in case we ever need it. He also has PANDAS which has some ADHD type behaviors but doesn't seem to be an issue right now- he is managing it so much better now. The best thing the OT did was give me the piece of paper to make the school pay attention and realize that if he is turning upside down in his chair he REALLY needs to!!
    Brandy

K
    kd976 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Wow, thanks for all of the information! He does have an ADHD dx, as well as the mention of ODD and something else from the psych. I've heard of the Out of Sync Child book from another friend, I'll have to check that out.

I think (from what I've read so far) that he definitely has signs of both sensory seeking and avoiding.

I got a list from his ped this morning of OTs she recommends in town. I need to call them all to see if they take our insurance and how early they can see him.

Thanks again for all of your advice!

You may want to read "The Out of Sync Child". I found it helped me understand SPD as well as how to help my child.

RE - ADHD. We ruled out many disorders/ ADHD look alikes before landing on the ADHD diagnosis. Certainly SPD shares many characteristics with ADHD and can often occur simultaneously. Good luck!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM