Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 371 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #118602 12/21/11 09:18 AM
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    I just received verbally the test scores for my DD. She had the test less than 2 weeks after turning 6 years old and I was wondering if that was to soon to have her tested using the WISC IV.

Her results were as follows.

WISC-IV
    VCI 116 (she doesn't really speak to people she doesn't know)
    PRI 133
    WMI 144
    PSI 115 (she tends to be a perfectionist and thinks
    before she speaks)

Overall 134

No, it's not too early. It seems that your daughter has quite an impressive memory! I wouldn't worry about the lower processing speed-- it's not that unusual in scores I see posted here, and of course perfectionism would have a huge impact on the score.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    The score to qualify for the gifted program in our county is 130. The tester has a child at the same school and knows my daughters teacher and knows that my daughter has issues with speaking to strangers and is a perfectionist and feels that is the reason the two scores were lower.

So she qualified, yes? Or does she need 130+ in VCI? If necessary, I guess you could engage in further testing in the short term using the SB-5. I often read recommendations against testing with the WPPSI so old.

But if not, if she's gotten the services you need, I wouldn't worry about the numbers. With gentle encouragement she should unlax after a bit, and you can retest later as desired. I've seen how traumatic testing can be for highly perfectionistic children, having one myself. If you can give her one, your daughter would probably do well with a decent break.

I'd consider letting your daughter know that she did well, despite holding back a bit on some of the verbal answers. This might help build up her self-confidence for next time. It's tougher to decide what to do about discussing any limitations on performance. One outcome might be that she learns from the experience and goes in with greater resolve for future testing, and scores better. But there's a potential downside, as she might feel like her refusal to answer was a successful avoidance mechanism.

It might be a good idea to ask the tester to include information on her perfectionism and reluctance to answer in the narrative part of the report.

D
    OP Offline
    D
    She does qualify. The tester was very impressed with how she did on the test and her ability overall. I was just wondering about the scores for the future and if they were needed for other services. My daughter is she a sweet child and would blend in to the background if you let her. As her teacher said you know shes bright but don't know really how bright until you get to know her exactly how bright she really is.

I guess I'd say that if they aren't needed now, count yourself lucky, and cross that bridge when you come to it. Any depressed scores sound like they're the result of your daughter's emotional state on the day of the test, not that she was only weeks past the minimum age. Her emotional state on a retest might be pretty similar, until she undergoes some changes.

B
    B
    Her teachers might want to make a conscious effort to give her more wait time when they ask her a question in a class discussion. Her processing speed is way above average, but gifted class discussions may move a bit fast for her comfort. A teacher might give her a nonverbal signal that she's about to be called on (like pause in front of her desk), or say her name before she asks the question, then wait 30-60 seconds for her answer, in order to encourage her to participate.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations