Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #118523 12/20/11 09:30 AM
    K
    kd976 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Hello! I know it's kind of early (or maybe not) to start thinking of summer camp...

DS7 has informed us that he "hates" the summer camp he & his sister have attended the last 2 years. It's just a day camp offered through the city - they swim daily, play sports & games, go on field trips and all that fun stuff. He always seems like he has fun when he's there and when I pick them up.

I wanted to see if there's anything else out there for kids like him... He's "gifted", he has ADHD & ODD and possibly has SPD as well. He LOVES math and problem solving.

We don't make a ton of money, so I'm trying to find something at a reasonable price that he'll be interested in doing. I'm not totally opposed to an overnight camp if it's somewhat close (we live in NM).

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'm VERY open. Thanks in advance!

kd976 #118534 12/20/11 10:58 AM
    You might want to explore that report of hating it before finding another solution, especially since he always seems like he's having fun to you. I have a DD who can find and dwell on the negative in any situation.

For instance, when she was 4 I'd take her to a place full of big inflatable bounce houses. We'd be climbing all over the place for a good three hours, having a blast... but at one point, some little boy might have bumped into her. We come home, DW asks her if she had fun, and DD answers with an emphatic "NO!" When asked why, she tells about the boy who bumped into her.

If this doesn't sound like him, disregard.

kd976 #118698 12/21/11 10:11 PM
    K
    kd976 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    That does sound like him at times... I'd still like to look into other options.

I'm looking into having him see an OT for SPD soon. I think that might be one of the reasons he doesn't like it there.

Who knows - I wish I could get into his head to find out what's really going on. *sigh*

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent