Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #117778 12/07/11 05:59 PM
    L
    Lymarin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    I'm a college freshman studying Actuarial Science and Accounting (well, sophomore, actually if you count the credits I completed while dual-enrolled), and while I have never been tested, I would guess somewhere around LOG 4 by Ruf's estimates. My CoGAT scores, though not IQ, could qualify me for Mensa.

I have been reading discussions here, mainly to help me look back to the experience I had in public school. My parents did not actively advocate for me in school, but I found old documents related to a gifted IEP that I had from K-2. When I was in junior high and high-school I attempted some self-advocacy with limited success (I was able to use the MN PSEO program to attend the University of Minnesota my senior year). I thought I'd join to add some perspective as someone who may have gone through some of the issues your DS or DD is currently facing.

That's all I have!

Lymarin #117821 12/08/11 01:07 PM
    Hello Lymarin - Welcome!

Good for you for taking advantage of the PSEO program.

I was wondering if your 'look back' is in relation to choosing a career path or more random.

Have your ideas about career changed much over your lifetime?

smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Lymarin #117830 12/08/11 04:33 PM
    Hi.

I'm here mostly because I'm bored out of my mind.

Your reason for posting is better than mine.

Lymarin #117834 12/08/11 06:20 PM
    I think being bored out of your mind is better than my reason for posting on here, which is that I'm just generally out of my mind wink

-Mich

Last edited by Michaela; 12/08/11 06:21 PM. Reason: Particularly awkward spelling error

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    Lymarin #117842 12/08/11 08:43 PM
    L
    Lymarin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    I think my need to look back has just kind of bubbled up over the past few years as I've gotten older and tried to get a better sense of what being gifted means for me.

As for the career choices, I happened to find Actuarial Science since I really enjoyed my Calculus classes. However, like many gifted kids, I changed my career plans just about every month, mostly the result of brief, intense interests.

Lymarin #117911 12/09/11 05:58 PM
    Don't pick law as an arbitrary and/or random career choice.

Unless you are going to law school for free.

And even then it's not the best idea.

Lymarin #117918 12/09/11 07:11 PM
    W
    W
    Hi Lymarin,

I think it is great to get perspective from your age group and what you are finding. Can you tell us a little about what you pursued in high school, beside Calculus, what you thought about as you entered college, what you felt were options, and about reality in this day and age.

My daughter is only 7 and it is with great interest and anxiety I see a changing landscape of opportunity.

Ren

Lymarin #117921 12/09/11 09:08 PM
    L
    Lymarin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Hi, Wren!

In high school I studied just about every subject available to me. We had "honors" classes available in English and science, and I also took AP Human Geog., World Hist., US Hist., and Environmental Science. I really enjoyed French because it was different than what most people took and I thought it would be more of a challenge than Spanish. When I was dual enrolled, I also took Government, Econ, enough French to pass my proficiency test, American Literature, and Physics for Science and Engineering (which was tough without much background but the first challenge I'd faced in school in years).

I was extremely stressed about picking the right college, since I knew I needed a smaller, more challenging environment, but being a National Merit Finalist meant comparing those schools to full-rides at larger state schools. (having good grades and SAT scores did get me a fairly large scholarship at my school, however, just nothing extra for NMF).

At first, I wanted to study anthropology because I watched "Bones" fairly often, then I enjoyed chemistry, then I remembered how quickly I picked up foreign languages and thought of being a linguist, and after taking Econ and Calc, I decided I wanted to be an actuary to get a blend of both of those.

It was very weird for me to score well without trying in high school, and it was very refreshing to go to college and find that there are lots of other girls who love math and work to become actuaries or love science and study pharmacy. I haven't felt limited to certain majors at all, since I know I have the ability to succeed in most areas. Being most gifted verbally (then quantitatively), I think knowing how to communicate with adults AND knowing how to demonstrate my abilities has really helped, even if it alienated me in high school. That isn't to say that some fields might be tougher for women to get a foot in the door, but overall I feel my school (especially the business program's Assistant Dean) is supportive of both genders.

Lymarin #118143 12/14/11 09:01 AM
    H
    H
    How are you liking your college life so far?

Lymarin #118186 12/14/11 01:30 PM
    L
    Lymarin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    I have mixed feelings about it at this point. I did not feel very challenged by a few of my classes this semester, and I am looking forward to courses that I have heard are quite difficult next semester. I chose my current school over a school which might have more intellectually-oriented students because of a $12,000/year price difference between them. I know the actuarial curriculum will be high-level, but I do worry if I'll find enough of a challenge with it because I know classes are offered at only one level in college.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM