Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 372 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    Coll Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    For those of you with kids with stealth dyslexia, or mild dyslexia, or however you label it - once your kids have gotten intervention, do they ever get to a point where they enjoy reading for pleasure? Does the intervention help reduce the exhaustion that reading causes?

We were Christmas shopping Saturday and found a set of Encyclopedia Britannica science books with an audio reader that reads what you point to on the page. DS6 will love it because it would give him a way to "read" complex science topics without us having to be next to him. It made me start mentally planning forward over the coming years. Will something like that always be preferable, or will intervention/tutoring ever get him to a point where reading his science books becomes an easy and enjoyable activity for him? I'm curious to hear others' experiences.

P
    P
    6 is still very young - even though lots of gifted kids start reatind early there are also quite a few who don't master reading at a young age, and once they are reading, don't really grow into loving reading until a few years later, whether or not they have dyslexia.

Our ds12 fits the profile of stealth dyslexia. From toddlerhood through the beginning of 4th grade he *loved* to have us read to him - big huge complex books, fiction and non-fiction, but he never read any type of fiction on his own, and although he picked up non-fiction books to read, he mostly looked at the pictures and skipped all over the place in the books rather than reading front-back. FWIW, he still absorbed a TON of information which he was always telling us about. In early 4th grade his best friend was reading a book and ds for whatever reason felt compelled to see if he could read the same book faster - he read that book in maybe 3-4 hours (a novel) and that made something click with him - he realized he could read fast and have fun with it, so after that he became a big fan of certain fiction genres and read a ton. Still, he is very picky about what fiction he chooses to read, and with non-fiction he still does the skipping around thing. To be honest, I've still not seen him actually read much in non-fiction but he clearly has read a ton because he's constantly telling us about things he's read that are non-fiction, mostly science related, and his understanding of complicated factual information that he's read is very obvious. He has some quirky things left over re reading though - the one that's challenging is that he has a difficult time summarizing what he's read. He can retell every single minute detail in chronological order that he's read it in, but can't summarize worth a dar - that's something that we're *always* working on here lol!

My dd9 did not enjoy reading when she was 6-7 years old, and she was struggling to learn to read. She loved being read to, and she is a very creative kid in terms of imaginary play and loving to create stories etc. She also loved being read to - and more so than my ds seemed to really experience fiction and get into it. We read Jane Eyre when she was really little, and it's still all these years later her very very favorite book. Anyway, I'm getting off-track, but fwiw she didn't really show any interest in learning how to read at her self-directed preschool and she struggled with reading once she was in K-1. We found out in 2nd grade that she had a vision challenge, and once she had gone through vision therapy and her eyes were working as they were meant to, she not only became a more efficient reader, she overnight suddenly loved loved loved to read. She is now my kid with a book under her nose constantly smile

My youngest dd7 did not like to read until just this year, at 7 in 2nd grade. As far as I know she has no 2E challenges and although she hasn't been formally tested yet, based on our experience with our other kiddos I'm guessing she's a high-achieving HG but not PG kiddo.

One other thought - the encyclopedias with the audio reader sound interesting and my first thought was my ds with stealth dyslexia would have enjoyed those when he was around the same age. Then the more I thought about it the more I wondered if he really would have. I think that, for my ds, he got more than just the facts of the reading when he had us read to him - he had the security of a parent being with him. This probably doesn't apply to your child, but just fwiw - for our ds, the 2E combined with being so off-the-charts in terms of IQ were things that made him crave a little extra bit of security particularly when he was so young, and I think that was part of his preference for having us read to him way past the age that other kids were off reading on their own.

Best wishes,

polarbear

C
    Coll Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Polarbear, thanks for sharing your experience. It's interesting to hear how your different kiddos developed, and helpful to know that there's probably not much way to mentally plan forward. I should know that by now, after reading all the posts on this forum!

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Coll
    there's probably not much way to mentally plan forward. I should know that by now, after reading all the posts on this forum!

I should know it by now too, but that hasn't stopped me from trying lol!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations