Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 417 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #117636 12/06/11 09:19 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Wondering how much curriculum differs from region to region.

I have a friend who years ago was living in Laguna Beach during the school, thinking she was in a good school district, her child was top of the class, then put her in Southampton schools, on Long Island, and she was in the middle because the curriculum was so different.

I know people say Everyday math and Singapore are different styles of math but is the curriculum different for grade levels, anyone know?

And also we had a discussion about lettering of grade levels for books. And there seems to be big difference what constitues a M level (or red circle) in DD's second grade class and other people's experience. I just saw DD's word study words for this week and they were the same as last year and ridiculously easy. I was surprised.

Like here, there, been. Yes. Last week, she had figured, built.

This is a "gifted" second grade class. Someone else mentioned vocabulary words, which she doesn't do.

Would like to hear comparisons.

Ren

Oh yes. Curriculum can vary wildly. I had a co-worker who moved here (Texas) from California a few years back. He's got 4 kids who, at the time, ranged from like 3rd grade through 10th. They were all nearly made to repeat the same grade they had just finished in CA, because they didn't meet the TX standards. He paid for tutoring for all of them to get them up to TX's idea of grade level.

And when I moved to TX from MD after 10th grade, I only ended up needing like 8 classes to graduate down here, because my education in MD was quite a bit ahead of what they were doing down here.

~amy

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM