Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I meet with the special ed chair tomorrow to add new accommodations to my son's IEP (6th grade; dysgraphia). He already has accommodations for using keyboarding, dictating, scribe as needed. What we'll be addressing are two additional areas of need which have arisen in midschool: organization and math.

Organization - this includes actually turning in finished work, needing more verbal cues to remember what is homework beyond what is written on the board, and letting the teacher know when more time/help is needed on a specific task. I will be asking for teachers to sign off daily on his agenda - any other recommendations for additions for this on his IEP?

Math - rote calculation continues to be an issue, so I will be asking to add that he can use a calculator on homework and tests. He already uses graph paper to help line up the numbers. But this is my challenge that I don't know how to address - when he has a marathon note-taking session in a class prior to math, he will totally zone out on work or tests and not be able to complete even the most basic tasks that he definitely knows how to do. Is there a way to address this fairly in his IEP? It is seriously affecting his grade as his other classes have much higher work loads that include a lot of writing, workbooks, etc. than in elementary school.

Thanks for any ideas - this year is definitely a growing year for us.

A
    A
    For the note-taking-before-math issues, it would be reasonable to have all of his teachers in classes with extensive note-taking requirements (not just the ones before math class) give him a printed outline of the material with the main points filled in but with room for additional notes, or to have someone scribe notes for him. (Someone scribing notes for him could be as simple as giving him photocopies of the notes of another student who is a good note-taker.)

Reducing the volume of written work required is generally considered a reasonable accommodation for dysgraphia, and as the volume of required writing in his classes goes up, including this in the IEP is likely going to become essential.

Dysgraphia accommodations

Could he be allowed to bring a recorder to his classes and then transcribe everything later (perhaps with your help)? That way he's not worried about typing/writing stuff down during class.

~amy
    A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks for th link, acculady - good stuff.

Epoh, that may be something to consider, although I do wonder whether it would create a massive amount of work to listen to the entire day again to pull out out pertinent info.

Master - his typing is very good, and he types all of his work, even workbook pages. It has helped a lot. The teacher he has until January won't even reply to his emais asking questions about assignments and refuses to accept work emailed to her... thus the IEP and switching math teachers at the break.

The computation issues come from several things - inability to memorize math facts, difficulty keeping the numbers lined up when working a problem - even with graph paper - and what seems to be a working memory issue. He gets lost in the longer problems that have parenthesis or more tha one step. Verbally, he can talk through the steps needed and grasps new concepts quickly. And when he's tired, sick, or dealing with asthma, it is much worse.

We have started playing S'Math (board game like Scrabble) to help him practice his math facts or to at least get faster counting on his fingers and to help him visualize the numbers lining up since the board uses squares for each number, function sign, etc.

It is frustrating to see his self-confidence dwindling, so creating some accommodations right now are vital. Thanks again for all the feedback.

A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Well, we finally had the IEP addendum meeting today, and per the head teacher's request, we threw the gamut of accommodations at the wall in case we need something to stick. The new IEP allows him extra time to do classwork, homework and tests (up to 3-5 days longer depending on the type/length of assignment). He also is allowed to use a computer in the class and a calculator on math tests, quizzes, and classwork. He is no longer required to copy anything from the board but will be provided a copy of teacher or peer notes, and he is allowed to email all assignments to his teachers. The teachers are being asked to give him verbal prompts regarding his agenda, homework, etc. and to sign his agenda daily.

While most of the teachers are already doing all of these things, it is good to have the IEP there to back him up.

Thanks for all the advice. It is very appreciated.

A
    A
    It's great that you got it all down in writing on the IEP. I'm so glad to hear that it went well.

So glad to hear it went well.
    Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Eesh-a-meesh, this one's going to give me gray hair. smile

Last night my husband went over my son's homework for math and discovered he wasn't showing any of the work. When my husband told him they'd need to redo it together, my son pushed back and said he didn't have to.

I sat down and explained that the accommodations at school were so his brain wasn't mush by the end of the class day. At home, he'd be expected to push himself beyond his comfort zone in order to exercise the parts of his brain that struggled.

After an hour and a half of attitude and smart aleck comments, he finally realized he wasn't going to win and started doing the work. And once he quit having attitude, he discovered the work wasn't so hard and that he was quite good at it.

It's tough negotiating the balance of needed accommodations with accommodating lazy habits for a 2E kid, isn't it?

D
    D
    ABQ-- Yes, very tough. But your approach sounds just right to me.

DeeDee

A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Just an update:

We have started a new semester, and with it has come the change in math teachers. Oh what a difference the teacher can make. The new teacher called my son up during quiet work time and told him that sh was sure he'd do well in her class. She told him that he could email his homework, do it on graph paper or whatever was easiest. She offered to meet him during lunch or after school for one-on-one if he needed. And most amazing, she gave him her cell and said he could text questions in the evening.

He came home happy, motivated and more confident. He did his homework, asked us for help instead of quitting, and filed his homework in the folder to turn in.

I know new bumps are ahead, but I'm doing a happy dance today.

P
    P
    Yay for the new math teacher ABQ! It does make a huge difference. For the note taking, have you looked at the Echo Smartpen? It is amazing!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM