I meet with the special ed chair tomorrow to add new accommodations to my son's IEP (6th grade; dysgraphia). He already has accommodations for using keyboarding, dictating, scribe as needed. What we'll be addressing are two additional areas of need which have arisen in midschool: organization and math.

Organization - this includes actually turning in finished work, needing more verbal cues to remember what is homework beyond what is written on the board, and letting the teacher know when more time/help is needed on a specific task. I will be asking for teachers to sign off daily on his agenda - any other recommendations for additions for this on his IEP?

Math - rote calculation continues to be an issue, so I will be asking to add that he can use a calculator on homework and tests. He already uses graph paper to help line up the numbers. But this is my challenge that I don't know how to address - when he has a marathon note-taking session in a class prior to math, he will totally zone out on work or tests and not be able to complete even the most basic tasks that he definitely knows how to do. Is there a way to address this fairly in his IEP? It is seriously affecting his grade as his other classes have much higher work loads that include a lot of writing, workbooks, etc. than in elementary school.

Thanks for any ideas - this year is definitely a growing year for us.