Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 351 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    Jonas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I have always known my son was smart and loved learning. Had a bad experience with principal of his school last year. Moved from that school to local school that is working to make extra accomodations for kids of all learning types. My son was in the 99th percentile across the board. He is in the 2nd grade and his scores are the median range for 5th and 6th graders. The principal at the last school told me his test scores showed nothing significant. I don't think she actually tested him. Is 99th percentile on the MAPs test gifted? He took the CoGat but I have not been given the scores for that yet. He is signed up for Green River Preserve this summer. But beyond that do I send him to a camp like SIG etc? Is he more than just smart?+

We don't come from brilliant folks. I amount just a hard worker who loves intellectual stimulation. I feel as I am out of my league.

What are your suggestios?

Last edited by Jonas; 12/05/11 04:35 AM.
    I
    I
    It sounds like his achievement is high and you may want to look at ability testing to complete the picture. Does the new school administer some type of ability test like the OLSAT? You may want to check with the district's gifted and talented department.

C
    C
    The CogAT and OLSAT are similar types of group ability tests. My HG+ child who is not twice exceptional had similar results on MAPs and ITBS tests in elementary (3rd and 4th). I'd say that I'd lean toward him being gifted but, like Inky, I'd want to see ability scores as well and how his achievement continues as he gets older. Achievement scores can be higher than ability in hard workers and are sometimes higher than expected especially in early elementary. However, 99th in all domains on MAPs certainly points toward a good possibility that it may be more than high achiever syndrome ;-)!

I would offer the personal opinion that I wouldn't assume that he isn't gifted if his CogAT scores aren't in the gifted range. Group tests aren't always the best measure of gifted kids. Hoagie's has a note about a study on the OLSAT that found a negative correlation with IQ for gifted children and especially HG kids. I've known kids who come out in the mid 90s on group tests who've had individual IQ tests later administered (and sometime more than one IQ test) and the IQ test scores were nowhere near that high. I've also known kids (my 2e one included) who had high-ish group test scores but not gifted scores and who had HG-PG individual IQ scores.

If his achievement is that high, he should be offered some sort of acceleration such as subject acceleration for now. If he continues to outpace his peers and the ability scores are gifted as well, placement in a full time gifted program or grade skipping may be something to consider later.

eta: I was noticing in your prior posts that it looks like you had some private testing done a year and a half ago. Did that give you any further info to sort this out and did they do IQ testing at that time? IQ scores, especially from that young, aren't set in stone certainly but if they did test IQ it might give you more to go on or more with which to advocate. Can we safely assume that the school never came through on the grade skip they were considering at that time?

S
    S
    As far as I know the only testing that we have here is MAPS that point to gifted. My son is in the 96% in Math and 99% in reading as a middle of the year 3rd grader. What other testing should I consider for him? His school sent home information on John Hopkins but he would have to take the SCAT. Is that common or is there a different test that he should take? I am a special education teacher, but I am not familiar with gifted education. Any help on where to start advocating for him would be great!

A
    A
    Taking the SCAT through the Johns Hopkins talent search is both common and a great way to get a better idea of where your child stands, and doing well in the talent search opens up CTY program eligibility.

Do you happen to have your child's actual MAP scores, not just the percentile?

Here's a blog post you may find interesting -
    http://davincilearning.wordpress.com/2010/08/03/oh-no-my-kid-might-be-gifted-where-do-i-start/

So test scores are interesting. But not as interesting as any particular child. Who is your child? Are they happy at school? Is it a good fit academically? Socially?

A wonderful book is summarized here -
    Re-forming ( Reforming ) Gifted Education: How ... - Davidson Home
    www.davidsongifted.org/db/Resources_id_14056.aspxWritten by Karen Rogers, this is a research-based book that discusses acceleration of students, grouping within the school setting, and program provisions both

It's sort of a back and forth thing - look at the child look at the options available to meet the child's needs - repeat!

Keep in mind that everyone defines gifted in their own particular way. I say that it's children who have special educational needs that are unlikely to be filled in a regular classroom without accommodation. Who is your child? What are the academic needs? How is the best way to fill those needs?

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    S
    S
    Thanks for the replies. The blog really does help. He is currently taking winter term MAPS testing. He received a 215 on his Math (which isn't extrememly high, but definitely almost above 2 grade levels) and I will have his reading this afternoon. He generally loves school especially reading and writing. He is currently taking a 4th grade reading class that intertwines book studies and higher level vocabulary. I feel that the school is doing a good job, but I was looking for extra that might be of interest to him. He is a well rounded kid that plays baseball in the summer and basketball in the winter. He also takes fiddle lessons every week. This is all just because he wanted to do it. I think he would enjoy the online classes offered through John Hopkins (or somewhere else if there are any suggestions) if he qualifies because they seem to hit on his favorite things to do - read and write. He currently makes up his own songs and stories/books. Academically, the extra offerings makes sense to me. Socially, he does well also in his class. He doesn't seem to get into trouble at school, but I have been told that at times he can be chatty when he finishes his work early. He seems to have a lot of "friends" but no body that he spends the night with or has that "best friend" quality. He gets along well with his athletic teams as well. I am just a little overwhelmed by all the information out there and where to start. I think the blog will be of a lot of help. I don't want to push too hard on him, but I want him to be challenged so he will continue to grow academically. Thanks again and all comments, help, replies are welcome!

S
    S
    His reading MAPS score was 219.

A
    A
    This page has a nice tool to to show what children with a particular MAP RIT score should be working on learning next. It might be helpful for you as you are planning enrichment, and it might be more helpful for your child's teacher in planning differentiated instruction than a simple grade level designation would be.

aculady - OMG. I never actually looked up exactly what my son's MAP scores meant, because the school didn't seem particularly interested in them. I don't know whether to be proud of him for scoring more than 2 grade levels above his own, or depressed because there is no way he's getting accelerated in this district!

~amy

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM