Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    If that's the case I would def schedule a meeting with his teacher. I can't even imagine a reason he wouldn't be permitted to check out a book he wants to from the library. I know when my son was in kinder, after had their reading level, the teacher took them to the library and taught them all how to look for the label that showed the level, so they could check out books that were appropriate.

~amy
    L
    L
    Sometimes librarians get confused, though. In our school it's the librarian that helps kids find books "at their level". Make sure she knows that the M is not a typo and he actually does read chapter books for fun.

Originally Posted by DeHe
    Originally Posted by Dude
    I think that this is only a worry if your DS is showing signs of being unhappy with his reading selections. After all, just because he's reading more difficult material doesn't mean he doesn't also enjoy picture books. He may be a middle-schooler by reading ability and interests, but he's still also a 5yo

If he's checking out picture books from the school library because that's what he wants to read, I see no problem. If he's doing it because that's all they'll let him check out, that's a problem, and one probably worth getting involved in.

that is exactly it - he told me he prefers chapters - he isnt getting them. He will read anything in his box, but it is not his preference. And he is not going to learn much from them, I wont say he wont learn anything but its certainly not stretching him like harder more substantive books which he reads at home. Currently he is going to the school library but being handed selections - there is as of now no relationship between his interests or his level and the books he is being given. He is not the type to complain to the teacher so the fact that he mentioned it to me at all is significant.

DeHe

DD6 had this same issue recently. I asked her to advocate for herself to her gifted teacher, but she was ignored. So I sent the teacher an email, DD6 received a reading test, and she's now allowed to get any book she wants. (IF ONLY all the school problems could be solved this easily.)

In your case, you've already got a reading assessment that says he can handle M-level books, so all you need to do now is ask the school what needs to happen to ensure he has access to M-level books in the library.

The fact that the library is handing him selections, rather than letting him pick what he likes, seems pretty bizarre to me.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM