Hi
So WWYD, DS 5 in a gifted K, was assessed for reading, according to his report card at level M for Fountas and Pinnel - and if you use the chart which places M at the start of 4th, I would say it matches his preference for fiction reading, on science and straight vocab he is probably higher. So they tested him to find where he was, there was no stopping at the end of K or anything like that. But here is my dilemma, the books in his reading bin at school is just level i - DS says its as high as the levels in the room go - now that is more advanced than they expect K to get, so its nice they have harder books in the room. But given they know where his level is shouldn't they get books for him on his level? I asked if when they went to the library could he get a book closer to his level and still came home with picture books. What annoys me is that the teacher said something about applying reading lessons - how can you apply things like just right words when you know all the words?!!!

Teacher has shown her awareness of his skills and is doing things with that in mind - except for the books in his bin! Is this something to press her on? I just wrote another post about the writing situation and I am worried they are tied together in her mind when they shouldn't be.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

DeHe