Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 110 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #116533 11/18/11 05:18 PM
    DeHe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi
    So WWYD, DS 5 in a gifted K, was assessed for reading, according to his report card at level M for Fountas and Pinnel - and if you use the chart which places M at the start of 4th, I would say it matches his preference for fiction reading, on science and straight vocab he is probably higher. So they tested him to find where he was, there was no stopping at the end of K or anything like that. But here is my dilemma, the books in his reading bin at school is just level i - DS says its as high as the levels in the room go - now that is more advanced than they expect K to get, so its nice they have harder books in the room. But given they know where his level is shouldn't they get books for him on his level? I asked if when they went to the library could he get a book closer to his level and still came home with picture books. What annoys me is that the teacher said something about applying reading lessons - how can you apply things like just right words when you know all the words?!!!

Teacher has shown her awareness of his skills and is doing things with that in mind - except for the books in his bin! Is this something to press her on? I just wrote another post about the writing situation and I am worried they are tied together in her mind when they shouldn't be.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

DeHe

She should be making sure he is getting books at his reading level. That's, supposedly, the whole reason they do that test. I would have a talk with her.

~amy
    C
    C
    My daughter was reading way above reading level in kindergarten. She told me the teacher went to the first grade classroom to get books for her to read. She was reading at a level J the first trimester of school, but the bins in the classroom only went up to about level I. I don't see why the teacher can't obtain the higher level books for him.

S
    S
    But I would also double check the reading level on those picture books. Some of them are meant to be "read to" books and have structure and vocabulary that is much more complex than similar looking "independent read" ones.

Now if your child is a fast, avid reader, he will definitely need something with more text (or bring back a bag full of book rather than a few).

D
    D
    Ask nicely if there's a reason.

Sometimes a kid's retelling-the-story-to-others ability is not where their tested reading level is-- the teacher may be keeping books for retelling practice or some other skill work. Often teachers do have a purpose for this kind of choice, and aren't just being neglectful.

DeeDee

DeHe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Ask nicely if there's a reason.

Sometimes a kid's retelling-the-story-to-others ability is not where their tested reading level is-- the teacher may be keeping books for retelling practice or some other skill work. Often teachers do have a purpose for this kind of choice, and aren't just being neglectful.

DeeDee

That reason makes sense as do the others - and I think you are right that there is purpose here, I just think whatever her purpose is will get lost due to disinterest. He reads them all, it's not that he is ignoring anything but if she wants to hear him talk character and development she needs to listen to him talk about NERDS not Arthur!!! He is certainly not lacking in reading material and there is plenty for him to do at school so part of me thinks don't fight this, but then the rest of me knows this is just wrong for him!!

DeHe

by the end of K, DD(now 8) teacher was getting books from 2nd grade for her in class...I honestly would be mad if my child was not allowed to check out ANY book they want from the library and I DO think the teacher should get the right level books for him when it's independent reading (that's what the bin is for, right?)

In DD's classroom, the bins have a range of books, all FAR below her level, but she enjoys them and reads much heavier stuff at home. They also do guided reading in class...the 3rd grade is reading The Boxcar Children...again WAY below her level, but she hasn't complained...

BTW-I don't think the K teacher EXPECTS him to talk character and development...even at 3rd grade, they haven't gotten to that. I always loved reading, but it was not interesting at school until HIGH SCHOOL for me and even then, I had read at least half the assigned books before freshman year!

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    L
    L
    Hmm, according to the charts I have seen, M is generally end of 2nd grade, so it shouldn't be that hard to find some books to put in a kindergarten's bin. If they are being difficult about it, could you select some yourself from the school library to put in there? Or bring some from home. If you are looking for something at that level, most of the Magic Tree House books are M. My DS loved those!

I don't know why they get so difficulty about being able to "find" the right books for above average readers. It IS a school, for heaven's sakes. There are probably a few books lying around waiting to be read! wink

But I agree that if he's overall pretty happy and has the opportunity to read more challenging and interesting books at home, maybe it is not worth the battle. I agree with 2giftgirls, the teacher is not expecting him to talk about the story or characters much, she is teaching the rest of the class how to sound out simple words at this point. Although that is all the more reason to just give him books at his level, since she is basically not going to be teaching him much regarding reading.

DeHe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by LNEsMom
    Hmm, according to the charts I have seen, M is generally end of 2nd grade, so it shouldn't be that hard to find some books to put in a kindergarten's bin. If they are being difficult about it, could you select some yourself from the school library to put in there? Or bring some from home. If you are looking for something at that level, most of the Magic Tree House books are M. My DS loved those!

I don't know why they get so difficulty about being able to "find" the right books for above average readers. It IS a school, for heaven's sakes. There are probably a few books lying around waiting to be read! wink

But I agree that if he's overall pretty happy and has the opportunity to read more challenging and interesting books at home, maybe it is not worth the battle. I agree with 2giftgirls, the teacher is not expecting him to talk about the story or characters much, she is teaching the rest of the class how to sound out simple words at this point. Although that is all the more reason to just give him books at his level, since she is basically not going to be teaching him much regarding reading.

LNEsMom
    That's exactly what I thought - tons of books! I had been hoping the teacher and librarian would be able to help me - not me help them!!! DS liked the MTH Merlin books about 6 months ago - he went through like 20 of them in about a month. That's why I was glad she knew he was beyond what they expected thinking they would recommend stuff! That pipe dream is gone. Good thing the book recommendations here are awesome smile

DeHe

Y
    Y
    Hi
    DD6 was in first grade (skipped K) last year and her first term reading level was M and she advanced to Q at the end of year.

If your kid is well rounded, then (if you wanted it all well) you can advocate for grade skip.

regarding picture books your kid bringing home may be partly his interest, DD brings some books which are very basic like books for babies with animals and fur and no letters in book!!!from school and library very frequently. DD wants some books she can read in minutes and get over with it.. maybe your DS is like that

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM