Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 438 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    M
    I posted in another thread earlier this month about my HG nephew. He had so much potential and in his teens decided to get into drugs and barely graduated from HS b/c his priorities were so messed up. He now has a minimum wage job at Home Depot that requires drug testing.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Originally Posted by doclori
    What about those with IQ over 140? 150?

My guess is that the rate of drug abuse would go UP . . .

That probably depends on your internal position on the War on Drugs.

I just meant that school would be less and less tolerable the brighter you are, so a more highly gifted student would be more likely to look to drugs for stimulation and/or oblivion.

Originally Posted by doclori
    What about those with IQ over 140? 150?

My guess is that the rate of drug abuse would go UP . . .

That probably depends on your internal position on the War on Drugs.

I think that would matter more to the lower end of the intellectual spectrum than the higher, because the lower end is more often characterized by black-and-white thinking.

Dude #116376 11/16/11 10:53 AM
    Originally Posted by Dude
    I think that would matter more to the lower end of the intellectual spectrum than the higher, because the lower end is more often characterized by black-and-white thinking.

But what about the global thinking and sophisticated strategic concepts that are necessary to operate the War on Drugs?

But what about the global thinking and sophisticated strategic concepts that are necessary to operate the War on Drugs?

I would expect a higher-IQ individual to be able to separate their opinions on drug use and the drug war as two distinct positions, which may or may not overlap. Also, I'd expect that the relationship is usually the other way around... rather than a position on the drug war informing personal choice regarding drug consumption, people's personal decisions about consumption inform their positions on the drug war.

So the below-average person goes, "Drugs bad, so war good." A higher-IQ individual might conclude that both are bad, which the below-average individual cannot help but see as a contradiction, because of black and white reasoning. Then the high-Q individual starts qualifying those as more nuanced positions, with not all types personal consumption bad, and low-Q decides high-Q is a raging addict.

And so, welcome to the modern political discourse.

Anyway, I wouldn't expect a high-Q to decide to use drugs because of moral/political objections to the war on drugs. That'd take some really tortured logic.

Just my take, anyway.

Dude #116388 11/16/11 01:13 PM
    Val Offline
    So the below-average person goes, "Drugs bad, so war good." A higher-IQ individual might conclude that both are bad, which the below-average individual cannot help but see as a contradiction, because of black and white reasoning. Then the high-Q individual starts qualifying those as more nuanced positions, with not all types personal consumption bad, and low-Q decides high-Q is a raging addict.

Yes, I can see that as a possible situation.

FWIW, drug use isn't what I fear most. I'm way more afraid of car accidents and a few other things.

Val #116391 11/16/11 01:27 PM
    Originally Posted by Val

Yes, I can see that as a possible situation.

FWIW, drug use isn't what I fear most. I'm way more afraid of car accidents and a few other things.

LOL... I got rear-ended on my morning commute, and I'm pretty sore right now, so a little drug use is looking pretty attractive right now.

Originally Posted by maggiemoo
    I posted in another thread earlier this month about my HG nephew. He had so much potential and in his teens decided to get into drugs and barely graduated from HS b/c his priorities were so messed up. He now has a minimum wage job at Home Depot that requires drug testing.

Well, at least he didn't take out $200,000 in loans and go to law school.

Dude #116395 11/16/11 01:54 PM
    Val Offline
    LOL... I got rear-ended on my morning commute, and I'm pretty sore right now, so a little drug use is looking pretty attractive right now.

Owie. Try an ice pack too if you can get hold of one (a package of frozen food or a cold can of soda might also help).

Val #116396 11/16/11 02:37 PM
    Originally Posted by Val

Owie. Try an ice pack too if you can get hold of one (a package of frozen food or a cold can of soda might also help).

I find that my clients generally prefer the green poultice.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM