Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 127 guests, and 43 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    My ds9(3rdgrade) scored in the 87th% for 10th graders for his scientific concept standardized tests. When I asked at the Parent Teacher Confernece what they were going to do to address that, the answer was typical- he can always move ahead in his grade level investigations book. As you guys know that is not going to cut it and really my son has no interest in digging into that book any more than he has to. So this weekend I went to Half Price Books and bought a high school Biology text book and Earth Science Text Book for him to read in class when he is done with his other work- he reads a LOT in school. He devoured 2 chapters last night and He is so excited about the idea of reading a high school science book!! Maybe it will deliver the not so subtle message that she needs to think bigger than just working ahead in his current level book. We still need to find a science fair project idea.... His first idea was to create a new single cell organism.... Second to identify a new element- not quite what I was thinking and not really possible before January! LOL!!!
    On another topic- he will be assessed tomorrow for that school that let's kids work at their own pace tomorrow- I know they are not planning 4th grade until Fall BUT I am HOPING I can convince themto take him starting in January!!! Fingers crossed!!
    Brandy

Does your school allow subject acceleration? My DS11, when he was 8 years old and in 4th grade, scored beyond high school and into the college level in Science. The school allowed him to be subject accelerated to 7th grade that year. It made all of the difference in the world for his happiness in school.

There are many drawbacks to radical subject acceleration: homework level, writing ability and the need to write long paragraphs and lab reports, as well as social interactions. (You don't even want to know what my 10 year old came home discussing while in High School Science last year! cry ) There is also the danger of letting the Science curriculum outpace the Math curriculum, since you need algebra for most 9th grade physical science classes.

But so far we have been quite happy. It was enough of a jump to give him slightly more interesting material, but not overwhelm him with the drawbacks listed above.

If subject acceleration is possible, I would recommend that they give him the end of the year tests in Science for as many advanced grades as possible. You need to find the appropriate grade for him in Science.

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Any discussion of acceleration has been denied- they don't do it, which is the reason for looking at moving schools. His reading level is way off the charts too and in math he is starting pre algebra so he capable BUT he hates to write so the school that deals with asynchronistic development is a good choice.
    If we didn't have the possibility of the other school I would probably push a lot harder!!
    I can only imagine what she came home talking about in High School Science class.
    Brandy

Brandy -- have you had IQ/Achievement testing done for your son?

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Not anything outside of what the school used to test for the gifted program. He was so sick for a couple years that honestly I thought the gifted child that was discussing long chain polymers when he was 4 or 5 was gone. I did not know if he was going to recover that level of intellect and it was the last thing on our mind when we were in a living he'll getting his health back- we've let him heal and I swear it is like a lightbulb has gone on again and he is back. We feel confident we have his autoimmune issue of PANDAS under control that we can take those steps because he is ready- more than ready- he is hungry for it so I am going to help him get what he needs. We will probably get testing soon.

Originally Posted by bgbarnes
    He was so sick for a couple years that honestly I thought the gifted child that was discussing long chain polymers when he was 4 or 5 was gone.
    I can't imagine the road you'll traveled down, and back. He sounds like an amazing child, and he's lucky to have you as a parent. I'm sure you have a pretty good sense how "bright" your child is, but the testing may clarify a few things for you, and make it easier to make educational decisions.

Last edited by herenow; 11/14/11 10:17 AM.
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks! It has definitely been a tough road but watching him now is even more incredible- having watched him lose the gift and gain it back is even more remarkable than witnessing it the first time. When getting back to normal seemed like a great goal and then getting the original brain back has been amazing. We are getting an assessment at the new school tomorrow- for all I know IQ might be part of it. His brain and growth are like a Ferrari right now and I am having to adjust how I handle him. Not having your brain being attacked sure changes how you function!!
    I really love this board because I read stories and hear about kids just like ds and even more about that much more extraordinary minds and can see how other parents have handled it.

Originally Posted by bgbarnes
    We are getting an assessment at the new school tomorrow- for all I know IQ might be part of it. His brain and growth are like a Ferrari right now and I am having to adjust how I handle him. Not having your brain being attacked sure changes how you function!!

Just a heads-up. I would be very careful who I let test this type of child. He sounds pretty exceptional and I don't know that just any tester is going to "get" his responses. I know others on the board have had experience with "poor fit" testers, and I'm sure they will have some advice for you.

I would be asking a lot of questions of the new school right about now.

C
    C
    You might want to seek out a mentor for your child. Our DS7 is in the same boat with his passion for chemistry.

We found a mentor at the CC who is a professor in Chemistry and math. Our son goes once a week to conduct experiments, learn the math behind it and to get hands on.

Last edited by Cawdor; 11/14/11 02:49 PM.

DS9 - Starting 9th grade
    DS7 - Starting 5th grade
    C
    C
    A mentor's a fabulous idea if you can find one; you could also consider the ALEKS chemistry course. It's dry, very dry, but my rather similar DS enjoyed it (or at least, he enjoyed some of it, and enjoyed the challenge of finishing it - the end is hard). Prealgebra is enough maths to get started, and it has the rest of the maths it needs built in.

Last edited by ColinsMum; 11/15/11 02:00 AM. Reason: removed spurious link!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader