Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 192 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #115907 11/09/11 02:54 PM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Hello, my name is Cheri and my daughter, Rory, turned 2 five days ago. At her check-up yesterday her peditrician said "these abilities are not normal for a two year, they are not normal for a four year old." I am having a lot of trouble accepting his words, nothing she does seems that exceptional (keeping in mind I have no experience with toddlers). I checked out several books from our local library which all have conflicting information. Now I am left wondering if these are early signs of giftedness or just a bright child with a lot of attention. I would welcome any input you have.
    Rory is "homeschooled" with a kindergarden curriculum. She begs everyday for "tuelle". I do not doubt that she has an exceptional memory. She knows and can say every letter, knows the phonics as well. Can count to five and can recognize letters 1-20. Knows every shape I've ever shown her (pentagon, cresent, etc). She knows all her colors and enjoys distinguishing between teal and blue, black and grey etc. Rory can identify hundreds of pictures in books or on flashcards (maybe 300-400, I'm not sure). She can read and spell small words- she is not reading sentances yet. She can identify about ten large countries on the map as well as about five states. She makes up songs (her biggest "hit" is Hot Noodle). She has been role-playing for about a year. She seems a little advanced in art but then again she began painting since 6 months. She shows extreme concentration while painting. She has been potty-trained since 15 months. She understands the vast majority of what I say and can follow complex instruction.
    Here is the thing, despite these abilities she is not advanced with spoken language. Although she was using a few words by 9 months she communicated mostly in sign language until fairly recently. Her vocabulary consists of about 100 spoken words which she can combine into 5 word sentances, add to this 200 ASL signs. Much of what she say is unintelligible to strangers.
    Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. I want to do what is right for her but I don't want to jump to conclusions.
    Thank you!
    Cheri

It's interesting how deep the myth that if a child is 'truely gifted' that they will be advanced in every area. It may be that the muscular control to speak clearly is just 'age appropriate' for your DD, while other areas are clearly well above average.

Check out TalentIgniter | Ruf Gifted Assessmentwww.talentigniter.com/
    for a good way to keep track of your daughter's progress.

I know you'll love her no matter where on the levels of giftedness she turns out, so just enjoy her. Be careful when placing her in group care. Spend some time with a truely heterogeneous assortment of toddlers to get some confidence. She isn't following the normal path of development.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thank you Grinity for your suggestion. I am not planning on putting her in group care, in fact I had wanted to homeschool her. She socializes in gymnastics and Kindermusic. I will check out the links. Thank you both.

If you are interested in homeschooling, I have found this book very useful, although it is aimed at older children.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Creative-Home-Schooling-Lisa-Rivero/9780910707480

Good luck!

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thank you very much for the link Geomamma. I need to stop browsing this site. I'm starting to freak out.

G
    G
    I wouldn't worry about anything. She sounds like my daughter. I took my daughter to the dr about 21 months concerned because she didn't say anything. She did use sign language. Then one day about 3 months later, I heard her thru the baby monitor perfectly singing her ABC's. LOL After that, she would never be quiet and constantly asking questions.
    If I were you, I would keep reading this sight and read anything and everything you can get your hands on about gifted children.
    Good luck, you are going to have your hands full. smile

C
    OP Offline
    C
    The bragging thread is what worried me. I never imagined having a gifted kid, if it were up to me I wouldn't choose it. But of course it's not up to me, she just came in to ask me to read five books, when I refused she counted down until we agreed on two.

F
    F
    Originally Posted by CheriAlex
    But of course it's not up to me, she just came in to ask me to read five books, when I refused she counted down until we agreed on two.

**chuckle** I remember those days. The little negotiators that they can be!

LOL!

Our Mr W got the same comments from his pediatrician when he was barely 3 months old. Around the 2 year mark she made a point to have a long discussion with us about him and what our plans were.

Mr W did not say a lot until he was 2 and a half. His longest sentence was "What is a mercedes?" when he was 11 months old. But he could say very complex words and would say them aloud the first time he heard them. Now at 3y9m, we have long, complex discussions with him and he will argue and negotiate if he does not get what he wants!!

When you put your child in with kids her age, you will see the difference. Go to a daycare and ask to visit the toddler room or even the 2-3 year old room. You will have to go up to the PreK or K room to see anything that she would be doing.

Those "normal" milestones that you find everywhere really are true.

Its easy to get used to Mr W's uniqueness by observing him with others. We have finally found some accommodation on this. The next brick to hit YOU will be when your child is formally assessed on a standardized test and the psych who tests kids like your says she has never seen someone like your child.

Another brick now coming is that Mr W can do some complex visual puzzles, ie the Set Game, faster than I can. At some point your kid will surpass you in some areas.

I'd get Ruf's book and I also liked this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Raising-Gifted-Kids-Everything-Exceptional/dp/0814473423

She quotes parents who say you should just take all the regular baby and kids books and throw them away.

DW and I have an agreement that we will take things one month at a time with him. And the last few months I've just focused on listening to him and enjoying every day.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM