Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 378 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #115887 11/09/11 11:30 AM
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Does anyone have any SSAT experience with their HG/PG child?

My DS8 (almost 9) is going to be taking the SSAT test this weekend for possible admittance to a private school next fall. He is currently in 4th grade (one year skip) and we are looking for him the enter 6th grade next fall.

I did read that there is a penalty for guessing and that it is a pretty challenging test - even at the lower level (for 5th - 7th graders). There is also a 25 minute essay that is not graded but gets sent to the school.

His testing experiences (outside of IQ/achievement tests) have been the SCAT as a 2nd grader and as a 3rd grader. His did well on those tests (qualified for awards) but this test seems much longer (3 hours total). The SCAT test was also computerized and not pencil/paper as this test will be.

Any BTDT advice?
    We have not done any test prep.

Crisc
    crisc #116108 11/12/11 12:19 PM
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Testing is done. He was there from 8:15 (check-in) until 12:40pm. Came out with a smile on his face. Told me he left 8 questions blank (there is a penalty for each incorrect repsonse so I told him not to do any wild guessing). He did not do any test prep except yesterday he looked at a few questions online from a practice test. Told me that the test was much easier than the practice question -- I think he may have actually been doing some questions from the upper level test instead of the lower level test. Of all the sections he felt the math was the easiest and the verbal (analogies) were the hardest. Most of the questions he left blank we the analogies because he didn't know the definition of a word.

We should get scores back in 2-3 weeks.

kcal, good luck to your DD. Is she taking the upper level or lower level test?

Crisc

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM