Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 245 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #115823 11/08/11 05:46 PM
    S
    SMB4181 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    My son is in his FYOS & we have had nothing but problems. He gets bored often & becomes disruptive. He struggles to sit still & remain focused if it is something he has no interest in or "already knows". His teacher advised me at the start of last term that she didnt know what to do with him anymore. When I explained that he was misbahving due to boredom her response was he needs to "learn to be bored".

Following this we decided to take his to a child psychologist to find out if there was "any issues". This resulted in him having an IQ test & also being assessed as having some anxiety. The IQ test came back with "odd" results - his FSIQ was 103 & his GLC (general lanuage composite) was 152+. The psychologist advised that the GLC was his "input" & the FSIQ tended to relate to "output". She is doing some more research on the results as she has never come across this before. I dont have the subtest results or his full report as yet.

The other things he tends to struggle with at school are reading - he is slightly behind but he is also one of the youngest in the class, he can be slow at writing and attention span.

He gets 100% in his spelling test every week & he excels at maths. His teacher has been reluctant to disclose where he is at school wise which is really frustrating.

So I guess my question is - does this sound like your child? If so please explain? Is it possible to be twice exceptional with his FSIQ & that the "disability" is skewing the results?

A
    A
    It is absolutely possible to be highly gifted and have a significant disability that depresses FSIQ to an "average" range.

My son's subtest scores on the WISC range from the 2nd percentile to the 99th, and if you only looked at his FSIQ (which actually shouldn't even be calculated due to the significant differences between his index scores), you'd think he was about average.

Once you have the full report, I'd suggest finding someone who has extensive experience with highly gifted children who also have learning disabilities, and having them at least review the testing results with you.

Last edited by aculady; 11/08/11 07:22 PM. Reason: Added more info
    V
    V
    It's definitely possible that a disability is creating the extreme score disparity. There are lots of resources available on twice exceptional students. Check out the 2E newsletter at http://www.2enewsletter.com/welcome%20page.htm or the Twice Exceptional network of the National Association for Gifted Students at http://www.nagc.org/index.aspx?id=973 for more information, once you get your full subtest results!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM