Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    J
    JonA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Hello,

I wanted to pose a question to the group to see if anyone had suggestions for non-academic summer experiences (camp-like) for gifted kids. My 12 year old son is double grade skipped at school and taking multiple high school classes during the school year. He doesn't want to take more classes over the summer.

As I researched summer camp options, all I seem to be able to find for gifted kids are academic camps (university or other setting) that ultimately involve more academic classes (even if they are wrapped by some social/night activities).

My son enjoys being outdoors (boating, skiing, hiking, etc.) and would really like an "Outward Bound" kind of program, but all of these types of programs seem to be for troubled kids. It really seems like a mountaineering/wilderness program where gifted kids could do these kinds of outdoor activities with similar minded peers should exist.

The closest thing I could find are various "nature" camps. Not exactly what I or my son have in mind.

If anyone has some ideas, or knows of any options, I'd super-appreciate your thoughts!

have you considered that, for an experience like this, gifted might not be an important qualification? My DD is only 8, but ADORES her time at Girl Scout sleepaway camps. There are usually a variety of ages and interests, but it all takes place in that outdoor, relaxed setting...Our local YMCA has some regular sleepaway camps as well, so you might start there?

Now you have me thinking, since we LOVE summer camps so much...I'm going to start looking, heehee!

Oh, and who knows how many of those "troubled kids" are actually just not fitting in their environments? My DD has already been labeled as a "behavior problem" but we never have that at camp...some of those kids may be gifted too...

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    C
    C
    Yunasa and Yunasa West come to mind.

Warning: sleep deprived
    P
    P
    I am not sure what part of the country you are interested in but I live very close to Lake Tahoe and there are several summer camp programs near and around the Lake. Try googling Lake Tahoe Summer Camp. I know the Lake Tahoe School has some summer programs and I think some are overnight.

I
    I
    Not sure where you live, but my PG daughter really enjoyed a few summers at Camp Widjiwagen in Minnesota. The kids go on long canoe trips in the Boundary Waters canoe area (or backpacking, but canoeing is really a strength because of the huge national park right there by the camp). She gave it up a couple of years ago to go to Davidson THINK, but still is very fond of the camp and loved her wilderness trip experiences.

R
    R
    If you don't mind a Christian based camp experience, Camp C3, through Chick-fil-a's Camp Winshape program is a daycamp my gifted children have enjoyed in previous years. Winshape also has 1 and 2 week residential camps, that are held just north of Atlanta. Their residential programs give opportunity for activities such as archery, horseback riding and swimming.

Last edited by revmom; 11/03/11 07:41 PM.
    J
    JonA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thank you for the replies. We actually have found quite a few camps that don't quite fit the bill (we live in New England), and my son has attended a non-academic one where he was adequately happy.

I am just looking for a camp that will push him in non-academic areas, but with other highly gifted kids to interact/team with. Thinking more along the lines of extreme rope/courses, survival/roughing adventures, but with other exceptional kids.

A
    A
    Perhaps you might check with your local Mensa group and see if there is a SIG for this sort of thing that might be willing to organize a group event open to gifted kids, or check with the children's coordinator to see if you can set up a field trip that would only be open to young Mensans.

R
    R
    You might want to look at Camp Broadstone in the mountains of North Carolina, put on by Appalacian State University. We don't have personal experience, but have a friend whose HG+ child has attended several years. It seems to be a mix of enrichment and things like high ropes courses.

C
    C
    I definitely second Yunasa and Yunasa West. My daughter loves the high ropes course at Yunasa.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM