Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
    A
    A
    DD8 is reading Survival in the Storm: The Dust Bowl Diary of Grace Edwards, Dalhart, Texas 1935 for school, and The Kane Chronicles, Book One: The Red Pyramid (for the bazillionth time) at home.

Y
    yannam Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Y
    dd6 reading tale of despereaux -nice story by Kate decamillo, may take whole week

B
    BKD Offline
    B
    DS9 is reading Andy Griffiths - Just Shocking (tacky boy stuff).

DS7 is reading The Order of the Phoenix, and various Pokemon books.

Originally Posted by epoh
    DS7 is reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. He's also reading a terrible book from his school library called "Super Diaper Baby" ugh.

Hahahaha! DD8 is on HP Order of the Phoenix. That's the first one the gets REALLY long...she got SDB from the other 3rd grade teacher. Disgusting, but it made her smile and school related things generally don't frown. I think it's a sign of the times that we even pander to children in that way...in an effort to get them to read at all, they are offered tripe like that when there are wonderful books that are still fun and funny without being gross.

On the other hand, I too enjoy a good fart joke from time to time, though I do not allow the use of the word FART in my house wink

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    ok...I give up...since I let DD8 come home and we are probably going to homeschool, she is getting far more reading time and we've been at the library probably 3 or 4 times in the past 2 weeks! I can't keep up!

She's working on HP Order of the Phoenix...that's taking a while because she got distracted by a great illustrated greek mythology book, a couple Geronimo Stilton's, some "scary stories for sleepovers" (short stories) and now an "Illustrated Encyclopedia of Fantasy", full of elves, wizards, etc...

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    Originally Posted by 2giftgirls
    DS7 is reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. He's also reading a terrible book from his school library called "Super Diaper Baby" ugh.

Hahahaha! DD8 is on HP Order of the Phoenix. That's the first one the gets REALLY long...she got SDB from the other 3rd grade teacher. Disgusting, but it made her smile and school related things generally don't frown. I think it's a sign of the times that we even pander to children in that way...in an effort to get them to read at all, they are offered tripe like that when there are wonderful books that are still fun and funny without being gross.

On the other hand, I too enjoy a good fart joke from time to time, though I do not allow the use of the word FART in my house wink

I consider it developmentally-appropriate humor, which fits in with my overall "let kids be kids" philosophy. It takes a while to appreciate more subtle humor like irony, but potty humor is instantly accessible. So not only do I permit it, I indulge.

My daughter recently had a homework assignment in which she had to give a parent a test on her spelling words, and we had to do it twice, because I wrote "poop" eleven times on the first one.

I mainly dislike the SDP books because Ethan already has a tendency to be very silly, and it seems like that book ratchets it up to 100!

~amy
    Hello, my 4th grader is enjoying Eargon series. Great Fanasty Also last year he read The Mysterous Benedict Society series and loved it!!! Great Mystery!

N
    N
    Ds is reading "Number the Stars" by Lois Lowry at school, and I think "How to train your dragon" as bedtime reading.

K
    K

The best part about books like that is having my rather proper mother call to say, "Ds left 'Captain Underpants and the Attack of the Talking Toilets' here."

DS11 is reading some kind of manga
    DS10 is reading a Murderous Maths book
    DD8 is reading a Rainbow Fairy Princess book and The Indian in the Cupboard

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students