Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 401 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    D
    Dandy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    I recall an excellent series from Psychology Today about the gifted mind sometime during the last year or so... and was pleased to see the start of what appears to be another great series dealing with GT Ed.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/print/77677

Here's the opening paragraph, the last line of which is especially refreshing to read somewhere other than our GT forums.
    Robert Frost used to get tossed out of school on the first day of classes because he was unhappy there. Beethoven's music teacher would refer to him as "hopeless." And Einstein quit school at fifteen. This scenario doesn't come as a shock to most parents of gifted learners. This is because for as much as the world has benefited from the contributions of gifted individuals, the academic population least likely to learn and achieve its potential is the highly gifted.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    G
    G
    Thanks for posting that Dandy. I'll look out for the next one.

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke
    C
    C
    Here's hoping lots of people who don't know it all already read it... I like this quote:
    For example, you may have a 7 year old who enjoys pointing out the discrepancies between Galileo and Aristotle and questioning her mother's good friend's definition of death, using a principle of string theory she viewed to her delight several times on PBS or who has noticed a commonality between a Virginia Woolf short story and a science experiment in photosynthesis. Or who has talked about protagonists and antagonists in stories with comprehension for several years and wondered what "agonist" might have to do with each word-to the point that the parent "must" look it up.
    Yup, got one of them :-)

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    U
    U
    Although I acknowledge the importance of discussing the PG, I do worry a little that examples like that make people go back to the whole "Giftedness = calculus at 8" thing. DD is 7 and has no idea who Virigina Woolf is or what string theory is, nor is she ready for that, but her needs were absolutely not met in a regular classroom...

Interesting piece. Poorly edited, though.

Last edited by ultramarina; 10/26/11 05:26 AM.
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Although I acknowledge the importance of discussing the PG, I do worry a little that examples like that make people go back to the whole "Giftedness = calculus at 8" thing. DD is 7 and has no idea who Virigina Woolf is or what string theory is, nor is she ready for that, but her needs were absolutely not met in a regular classroom...

It's psychology today, where anyone can write any articles on anything. Editing isn't it's strong point. Nor is accuracy. Nor is content. Sometimes I argue in the comments section in various articles for entertainment purposes. It's fun!

I would have been into string theory when I was 7. But only as it relates to cosmology.

W
    W
    When reading this, and thinking of my own experiences, I wonder how much the "nurture" affect of motivation impacts gifted learners.

Einstein dropped out and dropped back in several schools to find his own path. He pursued learning.

Ren

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Wren
    When reading this, and thinking of my own experiences, I wonder how much the "nurture" affect of motivation impacts gifted learners.

Einstein dropped out and dropped back in several schools to find his own path. He pursued learning.

Ren

Well said, Ren.

A
    A
    After writing professionally as a contributor to local, regional, and national publications, I usually look up the author of articles that intrigue me - as I did this one. Psychology Today: Joseph Cardillo The author doesn't seem to be quite a "just anybody" - although I'm sure his focus of studies would likely skew the article to his point of view.

Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Originally Posted by ultramarina

It's psychology today, where anyone can write any articles on anything. Editing isn't it's strong point. Nor is accuracy. Nor is content. Sometimes I argue in the comments section in various articles for entertainment purposes. It's fun!

I would have been into string theory when I was 7. But only as it relates to cosmology.

A
    A
    Thanks for sharing the article - interesting read.

I'll have to say that my own experience with raising three gifted kids - one of them high gifted - is different than the scenario the author describes (kid getting all A's, whipping off a week's homework in a short amount of time) and more like the experiences of the historical students he mentioned (Beethoven being told he was hopeless, Einstein dropping in and out of school, etc.). None of my kids have been motivated by grades (although they could calculate down to the number of problems on a specific math assignment that needed to be completed to pull a C). In fact, my son's were so poor in mid-school (the high gifted child) that I had to fight to get him tested for gifted. I remember the school counselor telling me, "Being placed in gifted should be a reward for exceptional performance. Your son just has behavior problems." I reminded her that gifted was for kids who were not being served by the regular classroom. When she reluctantly authorized the testing, my son qualified in all three exceptionalities.

They weren't overly motivated to please their teachers, either. Last year was the first year in six years I didn't receive almost daily emails from my youngest's teachers telling me of his latest off-beat ideas, comments, or failure to properly complete an assignment as assigned. And not because my son miraculously overcame all his quirks but because he had a seasoned, patient teacher to "got" him and redirected and motivated him in ways no other teacher had.

I'd be curious how many parents have the straight-a-ers and how many are in my boat.

Originally Posted by ABQMom
    I'd be curious how many parents have the straight-a-ers and how many are in my boat.

Not there yet with my children, but this was me at school smile

I think I turned out okay wink jk

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM