Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
    P
    P
    DD(10) has started The Hobbit, but it doesn't seem to have caught her attention too much frown Was one of my faves! She just finished the first three Lemony Snicket books.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by PipersMom
    DD(10) has started The Hobbit, but it doesn't seem to have caught her attention too much frown Was one of my faves! She just finished the first three Lemony Snicket books.

I read it as a 10th grader in high school. I don't think I am HG or PG but I do think of that book as a high school book...I don't really think I could have read it at 10, too much to slog through (I really loved it but it did take effort to read it and generally reading for me is effortless).

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    I guess I've given up on my kids' reading habits, I let them read what they like because borrowing 100+ books from the library and losing them was driving me nuts. Anyway, my sons, 9 & 7 only want to read adult books now, so they read the Star Wars series. All of the ones they can get their hands on. They own about 20 or so, and borrow from the library (I only allow 5 at a time) and they re-read them. When they want a break from Star Wars, they read Harry Potter or Kids Almanacs (National Geographic and Time-they've practically memorized them). I think that the adult topics in Star Wars go over their heads (I really hope), because they only talk about the fighting. I'm trying to steer them to the classics, but haven't succeeded so far.

Wisdom begins with wonder. – Socrates
    DS7 discovered the Guardians of Ga'hoole, and he's on the third book.

DS7 is reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. He's also reading a terrible book from his school library called "Super Diaper Baby" ugh.

~amy
    O
    O
    Originally Posted by Sweetie

I read it as a 10th grader in high school. I don't think I am HG or PG but I do think of that book as a high school book...I don't really think I could have read it at 10, too much to slog through (I really loved it but it did take effort to read it and generally reading for me is effortless).

My 2nd grader (will be 8 in December) *devoured* The Hobbit. We read the first few chapters together, and then he stole it from my bedside table (!) and kept reading it on his own. I think it's all about what interests a kid.

B
    B
    DS9 finished the 2nd Benedicts Society Saturday and started The Sword and the Stone he will be done with it by tomorrow and says next he wants to reread Pathfinder again by Orson Scott Card. I have to keep a flowing supply on hand!!

W
    W
    DD was given the Guardians of Ga'hoole this summer and had a hard time (so did I) getting past the image of the older brother pushing him out of the nest.

Originally Posted by Sweetie

I was given a copy as a fifth grader, and I wore it out, reading and re-reading it countless times, partially because good reading material was hard for me to come by at that time. So imagine my hilarity when The Hobbitt was assigned reading in my 9th grade AP English class.

Yep, it's definitely a high school book.

M
    M
    I enjoyed the Hobbit as a pre-teen, but it took me until adulthood before I was able to make it through the LOTR.

DD8 likes to start longer chapter books, but almost never finishes them. So far this week, she's read a few pages of Harry Potter #4, A Series of Unfortunate Events #2 and Ranger's Apprentice #1.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM