Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #113850 10/15/11 06:17 AM
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    ds is in kinder and doing 2a singapore math and also the challenge word problems.

Originally Posted by MamaJA
    Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
    My ds is using 2a.. would Singapore Challenging Word Problems be too hard for him? His reading skills are no where near his math skill level...

You can help him with the reading. My dd uses CWP 1 and is working in 2a/2b.

I did get him the word problems and suprisingly he is able to read them just fine. He is also using a strange way to answer the questions but it works (its not like he has been taught how to do it at school.. being in kinder)..

an example 425 + 381 .. he did 400+300 then 20+80 and then 1+5. Not how I would have done it but he got the answer correct! So does method really matter how he gets the answer?

Last edited by frannieandejsmom; 10/15/11 06:18 AM.
    That looks like a good way to do it because it shows he understands place value. In that example he's also managed to deal with the place value going to the next level and correcting his previous 'subanswer' so that's actually pretty good!

S
    S
    I think the beauty of the Singapore method is that it encourages using lots of different mental math strategies. I love the way your son did it. It's so great to see those little minds working!

S
    S
    My son did math the same way in K, it seemed to lead right into an easy time with long addition, subtraction very quickly. They really understand place value that way as GeoMamma said. Makes math a quick learn after that. When they are into math they excel very quickly. It isn't as complicated as other subjects, theres a clear system, pattern, answer and once my son figured that out he started skipping grades like crazy. It has slowed a bit with Algebra but the same thing, a patterned learned seems pretty easy for him. If they have a good memory it gets almost ridiculous.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations