Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 255 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I took several years off to serve in the Army after HS. The leadership skills I picked up were key in getting me to where I am today.

I also basically took off the years from age 9 to age 14 when I got into a really good HS. I just hid in the back and read my books.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    My DD really likes this idea! I was sure she wouldn't.

It made a difference when in PS, she actually would have needed another skip, but now that she is homeschooling it just doesn't seem to matter and I'd like to give her some freedom before she buckles down for high school. I let her go today and she spent the whole day either on Alcumus (math) or reading for history. wink I am thrilled about the math, especially since her online class is tonight as well.

Last edited by melmichigan; 10/19/11 02:12 PM.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    we don't homeschool, but our experience with DD's school has been rather dreadful so far and even worse this year, though I think this is her best teacher yet. If we switch schools, I am considering letting her take some additional time off from the classroom environment to try to erase some of the past damage frown

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    S
    S
    I've never thought of this idea, sounds wonderful to me! My son is on a mission to get out of school as soon as he can and I'm exhausted. I would love to take a year off to just explore subjects. I'd say do it. smile

K
    K
    Personally, I LOVE this idea! My 11 year old (as of a couple days ago - 5th grader by age), is also doing great with AoPS this year, love his extras (circus, theater, spanish, etc), reads ravenously. But everything else is just ho hum. I've resisted taking him to high school level science because he doesn't LOVE it and I know he'd resent the work load right now. Even though he is more than ready for it. We don't do AoPS online either because I think the work load would kill him. Besides I *LOVE* doing AoPS with him. I feel like we're half way to unschooling right now. He's spending tons of time programming computer games, including designing his own graphics and writing his own music.

At least with my own gifted kids, I don't feel like straight acceleration in a classroom with a high output expectation is the best option. Grateful we can homeschool for the moment! Enjoy your year! grin

D
    D
    I read about traveling by freighter years before we had kids and thought it would be a great way to take an extended trip with an older child.
    http://wikitravel.org/en/Freighter_travel

With the rise in piracy, I suppose I'm less inclined, although still quite intrigued by the idea.

When I first read the subject line of this thread, freighter travel was the first thing that popped into my head!

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM