Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    BeckyC Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    So we were presented a very unique opportunity this year. Our DD's school will be overcrowded for the 2011-2012 school year. There will be no room for computer lab or art. Grades preK - 4th grade attend this school. There are 4-5 sections of each. Classes will be FULL. However our district's middle school (Grades 5 - 8) has some room. The principal from both schools and the superintendent had an idea to send one section of 4th graders to the middle school to make room. So they asked for volunteers who may be interested in going. They didn't think they would get enough interest. But they DID!

DD will be at the middle school next year for 4th grade! The 4th grade curriculum will be the same, but they will have extra opportunities such as a higher grade level library, orchestra, after school clubs and drama. And the best thing about is there will only be 19 in the class. The other sections will have 25-26.

I'm so excited! Many parents did not like the idea at all, but I quietly kept my excitement to myself and needed to share here on the GT board.

Ohhh. That sounds promising!! Will the teachers be coming from the elementary school or will they be middle school teachers?

B
    BeckyC Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    One teacher from the elementary school has been assigned to that class. The rest of the teachers (art, music, gym) will be the middle school teachers as well as the principal from the middle school.

And that's a funny story too (about the teacher). To begin with, I didn't know who this teacher was, but they announced her name during the "volunteer request stage". Apparently this is the best 4th grade teacher they have, so at first about 40 people jumped on the bandwagon because they wanted THIS teacher. So when the school found out that 40 people were interested they said they would then have ANOTHER teacher join and you wouldn't know who you were getting. A bunch of moms then dropped out because of it. We had a big meeting a few weeks back, and these moms made a HUGE scene about how they only signed up because they wanted that teacher, all while that particular teacher, the superintendent and both principals were there - good lord.

Sounds very exiting. I hope you get the 'very good teacher.' A very good teacher can make all the difference!

Too bad they weren't solisiting for parents willing to gradeskip the children entirely!

Wink
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    B
    BeckyC Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    We do get the "super" teacher LOL! There is only one class going.

I'm so glad too because since my daughter gets this teacher for 4th grade we are guaranteed entrance into Harvard! Ha ha! J/K

Originally Posted by BeckyC
    We do get the "super" teacher LOL! There is only one class going.

I'm so glad too because since my daughter gets this teacher for 4th grade we are guaranteed entrance into Harvard! Ha ha! J/K

Lol! Very funny! laugh

But that does sound like a great fun opportunity for your dd!

B
    BeckyC Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    I know I posted this a long time ago - (and I'm very bad at participating on the forums) However, I have to say this has been the best school year ever! FINALLY, FINALLY FINALLY!

DD is so happy, loves learning and has shown incredible maturity.

We had conferences last week and it was really good. All teachers and GT coordinator met with us and have been receptive to DD's learning style. They had nothing but good things to say. It's so wonderful to finally have a school see in our DD what we see and others see.

Just had to share smile

Fantastic! I'm so happy for you and yor DD!

M
    M
    that is such a lovely and positive update - thanks for sharing

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations