Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
    Originally Posted by yannam
    Hi all
    intention is to know different books kids of a particular grade/age reading. we hopefully know wide variety of books and please write couple of lines about positive and negative points of that book as well

DS 7 Grade 2/3 reads a variety of books weekly. Some are stretched out over weeks, others are devoured in a day or two. Our only real rules are that they be unabridged and "decent" by our family's standards. The books I'm aware of this week are:

• The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis

This is his fourth or fifth reading of this. He loves it more each time. Good book for character issues. No bad points here.
    • Hardy Boys: The Mystery of the Spiral Bridge

Errr... this is "fluff" book. Some things I don't like about these Hardy Boys books are the way they talk about girls "Ooh, she was a hottie." Okay, so they don't say "hottie," but they might as well. Also, IMO they make derogatory remarks about "fat" people. I don't like that.
    • The Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder

This is his second read of this. It's an easy read, and full of adventure and excitement. This book brings up cultural issues that we are able to discuss. (How attitudes about people/ideas change over time.)
    • St. George and the Dragon by Margaret Hodges

A very "noble" book. It's a very easy read for ds, but the artwork is lovely to look at and the story is quality.
    • The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle

This is a must read (when they are strong readers). It is SO hilarious! It doesn't take long to get used to the language, assuming your child has read at least some quality literature. Very, very good book.
    • The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan

This really is an advanced book, but my ds likes it. He's reading it slowly. I think because we are Christians and he has regular exposure to the KJV/NKJV Bible he hasn't struggled at all with this language. Plus, he's been exposed to the concepts the allegory is referring to, so he "sees" those where someone who hadn't been exposed would not be able to do that.

This week, DS8 is reading Catching Fire (part 2 of Hunger Games) and Gregor the Overlander (by the same author). If he leaves one at school, he reads the other one at home. He usually has at least 2 books in process as one book is left somewhere where he is not... And don't worry, we have plenty available "on deck" so I do not have to hear the dreaded, "I don't have anything to reeeeaadddddd!!!!!!"

DS11: Frontier Wolf, by Rosemary Sutcliffe, as it ties in with his study of Roman civ. Last week was The Bronze Bow.

Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by remalew
    DS9 is reading The Story of Science: Einstein Adds a New Dimension by Joy Hakim, any Calvin & Hobbes he can get his hands on (Calvin & Hobbes is a daily requirement), and Speak up and Get Along by Scott Cooper (this one I kind of planted in his room)... Also, whatever else he can find and hide at school, I'm sure. (Usually involves world records of doing something gross.)

Calvin & Hobbes and The Far Side galleries are daily requirements here too!

B
    B
    We are all over the place..DS8 is enjoying the How to Train Your Dragon series, as well as the Uncle Albert books...and he can't wait for the new George and the Big Bang book to come out :-)

S
    sws Offline
    S
    DD7 is reading Gregor the Overlander (Book 1 of a 5 book series) her sisters loved them when they were younger.
    DD11 is reading The View from Saturday as an assignment for class.
    DD13 is reading The Castle in the Air because she liked Howl's Moving Castle.

A
    A
    DD8 just disappeared into her room with I Am Number Four. (I have no idea how kid-appropriate it is; the movie was PG-13. DD has a high tolerance for action movies viewed at home in a brightly-lit room.)

L
    L
    Belle, we love Hawking's George books too, I have already gotten a copy of the Big Bang! Not sure what the deal is because I couldn't buy it directly from Amazon (or Barnes & Noble online) but was able to buy it from one of the Amazon Marketplace vendors. Maybe its out in Britain but not in the US?

Originally Posted by Kate
    This week, DS8 is reading Catching Fire (part 2 of Hunger Games) and Gregor the Overlander (by the same author). If he leaves one at school, he reads the other one at home. He usually has at least 2 books in process as one book is left somewhere where he is not... And don't worry, we have plenty available "on deck" so I do not have to hear the dreaded, "I don't have anything to reeeeaadddddd!!!!!!"

I wasn't sure if the Hunger Games series is appropriate for this age? I read them and know my DD8 would enjoy them, but we've already had a few incidents at school where what she says has been misunderstood by other kids or adults...when I told her they were about kids fighting other kids to the death, she said "cool!" I realize she means that sounds exciting and with lots of tension, but other people might take that as her saying it would be cool for kids to kill kids...am I the only one who worries about that?

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    M
    M
    DS4.5 is reading Zac Power books in the car and James and the Giant Peach (Roald Dahl) before going to sleep. He has a Magic Treehouse book (about earthquakes?) that he is picking up and putting down from time to time.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM