Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 194 guests, and 41 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #114219 10/19/11 06:31 PM
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    I am trying to advocate for ds 5 (kinder). I am asking the principal if he can get aleks for ds to work on at school.

Here is what the principal is asking me.. I don't know the answer to his question.

"I finally had a chance to look through this site. Was there a location that provided online questions for students to work on? I didn't locate one but I wasn't sure if I missed it."

Can anyone give me more information on it?

J
    J
    On the home page http://www.aleks.com/
    click Begin Free Trial
    you can use 1 email address to set up a free trial

Once the trial is set up, you can login and access example sessions, I think... definitely call Aleks directly if you have more questions.

My DS8 used Aleks at school two years ago. When you sign on, the child is given an assessment. Based on how they do,a pie chart builds with areas that need work. When a child clicks on a piece of the pie, a question pops up. If they get 3 questions right, the pie allows them to move on. If not it gives them alternative ways to solve a problem.

Every so often an assesment will pop up. A child must surpass 90% to move to a different grade level or class. If they get problems wrong, even ones they had previously handled correctly, that set is added back to the pie. So they not only have to do the problems correctly, they have to remember.

It worked really well for us. My DS is extremely mathy and had no trouble looking at the explanations and moving quickly forward.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    P
    P
    Shari described how Aleks works well - we've used it at home to supplement math for all three of our kids (one extremely gifted, one high achieving possibly gifted, and one who falls at the other end of the spectrum in math - extremely challenged). It's worked well for all three smile

Give the free trial a try - that should answer any questions.

polarbear

S
    S
    If you want to try out Aleks they have a longer free trial for homeschoolers (but they don't seem to care if you afterschool instead). If you have started an account already you will need to start over, and they take a few days to activate the coupon vs. instant gratification with the standard free trial but... 2 months vs. 48 hours wink

http://www.aleks.com/webform/c215

Or Google aleks two months free trial

S
    S
    Although it might not provide the instructor interface, which seems a bit more complex than the parent's one.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs