Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 191 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #114164 10/19/11 12:36 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hello! My second grader is taking MAP tests this week. We had done private testing in 1st and he was sub accelerated to 3rd for math. His ability is high - 145 FSIQ, 146 GAI but not PG. I am curious what other with similar profiles saw from the MAP scores? We have PT conference next week, and I imagine they will spring the results on me then. Want to have some thoughts prepared in advance. Thanks, all!

My first thought is can you get the scores before the conference? That way you can research and digest the information and make better use of everyone's time.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    That would be my preference, but may not be possible

You won't really be able to predict MAP scores from IQ results, as the MAP tests what a child knows. So if your son wasn't exposed to particular concepts that are on the MAP, he may not answer them correctly. (Of course, HG kids are very good at multiple choice, so you never know.) As for aside re: LOG, was the IQ test the WPPSI? If it was SB-V or WISC, those scores are considered PG, I do believe.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    St pauli girl- test was WISC-IV, but our evaluator characterized as HG. Also, he went from miserable (refusing to go to school) to more compliant this year (so maybe more HG+?). Of course, he also tells me that he really doesn't like school at all and that he looks forward to his computer time. He is playing my husband's simulation games these days. So, maybe I just want some happiness and normalcy for him *sigh*

Anyway, he came home from school today and reported that he got a 21"something" on the MAP. He also described it in detail, which I found very amusing. I think that is 99 for 2nd grade, but 95 for 3rd. So I think that means a good placement? Any insight on that is most welcome.

Last edited by MidwestMomof4; 10/19/11 05:00 PM.
    As for LOG, I think the thing to remember when you hit DYS qualifying scores is that you are dealing with a kid who may have exceptionally different needs that schools are not used to seeing. In our experience with our DS in the regular local schools, the biggest problem turned out to be pacing. So even with a grade skip, things still weren't quite enough. We transferred him to an accelerated program for HG kids, which is fitting really well now after the grade skip. Our DS7 sounds a lot like yours (mine thinks that school is a waste of time when he could be home playing Minecraft). So what am I trying to say? I guess I'm trying to say welcome to a new normalcy.

The 21-something, if it means something in the 210s, is a high score. With the new 2011 MAP norms, it probably isn't as impressive as it would have been with the 2008 norms, but still very high. Is this math or reading, by the way? Here are some good links to see what those scores mean in terms of what your son would be ready for. You can compare these to your son's curriculum, or ask your son's teachers if he'll be learning things at that level. http://www.powayusd.com/projects/edtechcentral/lladder/Default.asp

Another good thing to do with MAP scores is to ask if there are kids with similar scores in the classes that your DS is taking. So if he's accelerated in math one or two years, will he be in good company?

M
    OP Offline
    M
    SPG - just posted on the other thread I have open. He thought he had a 213 in math. Reading is today. I told him to try to remember his number - terrible, I know. I wish our school had an accelerated program like yours - no such luck! As I said in the other post, I think that asking about peer test scores is a great approach for our conferences in a few weeks.

Originally Posted by MidwestMomof4
    SPG - just posted on the other thread I have open. He thought he had a 213 in math. Reading is today. I told him to try to remember his number - terrible, I know.

I did the same thing when my DS took MAP tests last year. I would have this year too, but we didn't know ahead of time when he was taking them. I can't help that I'm so curious. smile Also, I blame it on the fact that I'm just trying to help figure out his educational situation.

Originally Posted by MidwestMomof4
    I wish our school had an accelerated program like yours - no such luck! As I said in the other post, I think that asking about peer test scores is a great approach for our conferences in a few weeks.

I wish my school district had a program like that too. We drive 45 miles to get to the program (OK, so I work near there and would be making the drive anyway). The good thing is that MN has open enrollment. I don't regret our decision. Plus, DS gets plenty of reading done on those car rides.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by aeh - 06/05/24 01:26 PM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader