Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    nm

Last edited by melmichigan; 10/18/11 10:53 AM.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    M
    Mag Offline
    M
    We did last year.... we pulled the kids out of school in November for various reasons.

For us, it was a really wonderful experience. The opportunity to bond with the kids was priceless. We also used the time to learn subjects that are not generally taught at regular public school: piano and Chinese; we tried activities DCs wanted to try: ballet and various art classes.

It was fun... they cooked in the kitchen and grew vegetables in the garden. For us, it was a good decision.

Good luck with your decision!
    Mag

C
    C
    Don't you just hate when you change your mind about a post and we all respond anyway wink ! FWIW, I believe that the OP is already homeschooling so this may have been more about taking time off from formal hsing than public/private school.

Good luck sorting out whatever it is that you have going on.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    Don't you just hate when you change your mind about a post and we all respond anyway wink ! FWIW, I believe that the OP is already homeschooling so this may have been more about taking time off from formal hsing than public/private school.

Good luck sorting out whatever it is that you have going on.

Nah. I just had a really long post typed out and got interrupted, lost it, and didn't have time to come back. As Cricket mentioned my DC homeschool already so it would be time off from formal hsing. I have been struggling with my oldest DD11 and school this year and it has come up that she is far enough ahead in most subjects that she could just take a year off and it wouldn't hurt her in the long run so I wondered if anyone had in fact done so. The only thing going really well is AoPS and history.

L
    L
    We did last year, except for one class, now she is almost 11. She basically studied or read whatever she wanted to do last year.

We started up again a few weeks ago with a couple of high school level courses and her attitude is terrible. Boredom, Easy, Why do I have to?

She is PG w/ ADHD. She is way ahead and can do college work with mentors. On the other hand, she is not ready to go to college because of the issues related to ADHD. It is tough spot to be in for her and our family.

We have been discussing a "gap year" for DS8 before he officially reaches high school. It would be the year after next. He would like to spend the year immersed in Chinese in some way so that he is fluent when it's over.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    I would love to have a year to take my DD around to National Parks, etc. She loves nature and they are so diverse...

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    G
    GHS Offline
    G
    My parents did this with me when I was 10. We moved to Europe for about a year and went to museums, gardens, historical places, ect. It was wonderful. We lived in The Netherlands and technically I was enrolled in a school but I only went when we were home. Mainly so I would have friends/ something to do when we were not traveling. I learned so much and so hope to do something like this with my kids when they are around that age.

Edited to fix an iPad typo!

Last edited by GHS; 10/18/11 09:26 PM.
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by 2giftgirls
    I would love to have a year to take my DD around to National Parks, etc. She loves nature and they are so diverse...

She went on a trip last fall with her grandmother. She took the Empire Builder across country from Chicago to Seattle. She then took an Alaskan cruise and came back across country via some of the national parks over two weeks. Six weeks off was a great way to start the school year. wink I wish I could have gone with her.

I think she is frustrated. She can do high school work in science and history but struggles some with the composition involved. She is doing great with AoPS to the point it is down right scary. I think a year to work on any weaknesses and run with her own interests might be helpful in the long run. I'm just not sure how she will perceive it.

Last edited by melmichigan; 10/19/11 06:06 AM.

you know, in "A Nation Deceived" many of the accelerated kids say that acceleration has given them a gift of time. Even if you only skipped one grade, that is essentially a year to explore life or gain more knowledge before you are expected in the "real world" with your age peers.
    Especially if you would use the time to work on weaknesses...using her interests to work on the weaknesses might be an effective tactic...

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM