Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #114006 10/17/11 04:31 PM
    D
    doclori Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Got a call from the psychologist who did DS7's WISC the other day. She said he's the highest kid she's ever tested in 30 years of practice.

FSIQ 150
    Perceptual 153
    Verbal 142
    Working memory 132
    Processing 126

This is a verbal report over the phone, and she did mention that he topped out a couple of the subtests. We have a little more testing to do (dysgraphia, attention stuff) before I get a final written report.

But WOW!

And you all are about the only people I can tell, other than the grandparents. :-)

doclori #114007 10/17/11 04:41 PM
    M
    M
    Indeed, wow!

This is kind of a crazy question and not really related to your DS, as those are fantastic results, but do "they" just ignore guidelines about standard deviations between indexes when you have indexes into the 150s? You've got 2Ds between Perceptual and Processing there, which would normally be flagged right? I know you have mentioned dysgraphia, and that would certainly impact processing, but I am of the impression PSI and WMI would rarely go a much higher than low to mid 130s? So there would most often be a pretty big gap once VCI or PRI get into the 150s?

Again, Wow!

doclori #114010 10/17/11 05:09 PM
    D
    doclori Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    I don't know. She has more testing to do with him, we don't go back for a few weeks. I'll have to ask, but it's hard to get a diagnosis for something that you score at "only" 96th percentile in . . . so we may never really know.

doclori #114013 10/17/11 06:25 PM
    W
    W
    That's wonderful!!
    I'm not sure if you have read about extended norms and GAI calculations for the WISC IV on this forum. But since the psychologist has never tested anyone that high, he/she may not be aware of them.

Here is the link for the extended norms for the WISC IV.
    http://www.pearsonassessments.com/N...C-8E4A114F7E1F/0/WISCIV_TechReport_7.pdf

Your son may have earned more than the max 19 scaled points for a particular subset (looking at his scores in Perceptual would be a good bet) and this report explains how to count beyond 19. You may want to bring this up with the pschologist and ask to look if he earned more than a 19 and have it recalculated using the extended norms. Not too many psychologist have experience or know about it because most of them do not test kids at the upper limits of the test.

GAI may be useful as well as the score takes into account the Perceptual and Verbal.
    Here is the link for it: http://www.pearsonassessments.com/N...DA-05888C7CC082/0/80720_WISCIV_Hr_r4.pdf

That would be my advise to get the best picture you can from the WISC IV for your DS. There are other here who know a lot more than I do, but when we retested DS7 it helped get a better picture having the extended norms and GAI calculated.

doclori #114021 10/17/11 07:28 PM
    D
    doclori Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks, I will ask her. Since I'd been concerned about the WISC at the outset, she did make a point of saying that he hadn't hit the ceiling of the test; I guess he got a question or two wrong on those subtests that he scored 19?

FWIW, the psychologist came recommended by another educational psychologist -- he said he wasn't the person to test DS, and referred me to her. But if HG kids are only 1 in a thousand, even an experienced ed psy will only see a few over 150 in her whole career, I would imagine.

I expect we'll get more info when she's done testing, and I'll get a full written report. Will definitely ask for a GAI.

Thanks for the links -- they were helpful. I was a psych major in college, but the technicalities of these tests always baffle me.

doclori #116450 11/17/11 07:49 AM
    D
    doclori Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    So I finally got a written report.

Composite Scores Summary
    VCI 142
    PRI 153
    WMI 132
    PSI 126

FSIQ 150
    GAI 158

Verbal Comprehension Subtests
    Similarities 19
    Vocabulary 17
    Comprehension 15

Perceptual Reasoning Subtests
    Block Design 18
    Picture COncepts 19
    Matrix Reasoning 19

Working Memory Subtests
    Digit Span 15
    Letter-Number sequencing 16

Processing Speed Subtests
    Coding 14
    Symbol Search 15

What does it mean when the processing tests are a standard deviation below the GAI tests? At any rate, maybe it'll help us with the school. Already forwarded for the DYS appication.

doclori #116472 11/17/11 12:25 PM
    K
    K
    I'm sure that one of the testing experts will comment here soon. From the looks of your report, your tester did not apply extended norms (?) Our tester wouldn't officially calculate the extended norms because she did not believe that they had been sufficiently vetted. Yours may feel the same way but you can calculate them yourself if you have the raw subtest scores. Your DS's scores may be even higher. At the same time, I don't know if you gain much from calculating them -- he's already DYS level.

My Dd's scores were somewhat similar to your DC's, though her VCI was only 98th percentile. We were looking at 2e issues so we specifically asked about the WM and PS scores. Our tester thought that these sections did not indicate any reason for concern. She said that DD displayed strength in these areas and we should not consider them a weakness just because of the relative difference to her PRI scores which were exceptional. FWIW, looking at the WISC technical report,the test doesn't really have extensions with respect to processing speed scores so you can only go so high, i.e. my DD had 65/65 on the coding section and a 19 on the coding subtest is as high as you can go even with the extended norms.

doclori #116475 11/17/11 01:14 PM
    D
    doclori Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    She specifically told me that he didn't max out any of the subtests, so I'm assuming that she had a reason not to calculate the extended scores. I had to nudge her a little just to get the GAI, which is 8 points higher than his FSIQ.

I also wonder, as I always do, to what extent the relative weakness in processing is due to his relative weakness in writing, and of course there's the attention issue -- the processing portion of the test is a little less interesting, and his attention tends to drift pretty quickly with that type of mundane activity.

Nevertheless, I think this score is about right. He's very bright, but not the kind of 160+ kid who goes to college at 11 or 12.

Am I the only one in this forum who thinks of Sheldon from "Big Bang Theory" a lot when contemplating my child? I love that show.

doclori #116476 11/17/11 01:36 PM
    T
    T
    I'm glad you were able to get the results and add them to your DYS app!
    I had to laugh at your last sentence about Sheldon. My dad tells me every week after he watches it that he envisions our son in 10-12 years being exactly like Sheldon lol

doclori #116478 11/17/11 01:52 PM
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by doclori
    Am I the only one in this forum who thinks of Sheldon from "Big Bang Theory" a lot when contemplating my child?

Not my kid, but I rarely hear a Sheldon line I couldn't envision coming out of my niece's mouth. Bazinga.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations