Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 292 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    E
    E&J Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    DS6 took WPPSI-III one year ago. Can he be tested with WISC-IV now? I know in general same type of test shouldn't be taken within 2 years and I don't want to inflate the score. Thanks!

Hi E&J -
    I don't know the answer, but I think it's a great idea to ask whichever psychologist you would be likely to use. I looked back at the November 2010 posts and it sure looks like your son is pretty unusual.

How did the gradeskip go? How is the current school fit? Are you still in the 'just curious' boat, or is there some specific concerns?

Have you read http://www.accelerationinstitute.org/nation_deceived/

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    E
    E&J Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    We decided not to skip eventually as we don't think skip one or two levels would help too much. Academically he is just way too advanced. The current focus is about social skills and mental/emotional development.

The school life has been extremely challenging so far. It's hard to describe here but it's mainly due to his extremely strong emotions. But our public school and the teacher is very good. They soon realized that he is highly gifted and have been trying to provide a lot of extra to satisfy his needs. Meanwhile he is learning to cope with the real world when things don't go his way.

The question is related to our plan to apply for DYS. We were hoping a DYS consultant could help the school and us on his educational planning, and etc. We want to take the test path because we don't know what a portfolio would look like for a 6 years old. How to demonstrate a kid's work 2 grades above his level? DS's handwriting is not good so I have no work pieces available. Video tape him solving a system of equations, explaining some specific chemical reactions, reading Hamlet, or describing a very large road map in his memory?

C
    C
    Aimee Yermish explained about 'retaking' WISC after WPPSI at Hoagies Gifted:
    http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/test_prep.htm
    I would talk to the psychologist and confirm it.

Re. portfolio, all your ideas sound good. It doesn't hurt to apply with portfolio. If they ask for more info, you can then test him.

Re. strong emotions, we have 3 of our own :), and I'm sure this forum has plenty more! "Living with Intensity" from Susan Daniels is an excellent book that has helped us better understand our kids.

Last edited by Cocopandan; 10/15/11 08:55 AM.
    E
    E&J Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    Thanks, will find that book to read!

For the strong emotions, I like the book, "Transforming the Difficult Child Workbook" by Lisa Bravo - this is also referred to as the Nurtured Heart Approach.

After you've understood the Intensities, and managed the environment as well as possible, the next step is to fortify the child, so that they can take their new inner strength out into the world. That's what I value about 'Transforming.'

I'm glad you found a great teacher - that makes all the difference. Truth be told I think a lot of us use the 'oh, he really needs a gradeskip' as a diplomatic way of 'moving on' during those years when the teacher just focuses on the negatives about a kid, and can't even see the positives. Hopefully since your school system already has acknowledged that he has special needs they won't place him with a bad match.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    E
    E&J Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    That's why I felt advocacy is important. The school system or the teacher may not have had experience with a highly gifted child. Until the parents work closely with them it's not fair to them either to understand the special needs from this population. Many teachers have talented and/or gifted training but most t&g students are good listeners and this population is the easiest to teach in many ways and, I feel, maybe have greater chance to be high achievers eventually. The challenge to me was that I feel uncomfortable to emphasize the difference between 99.9% kids and 95% t&g kids, when the school staff is proud of their t&g program and makes me look over concerned. Anyway I feel there are more challenges ahead but I have high hope on the whole thing.
    Btw, I like the "fortify the child" part.
    Thanks!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM