Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #113399 10/09/11 07:36 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Our son has some medical issues (GERD, delayed stomach emptying, allergies) that are under control. Developmentally he was way ahead on reading, speaking, fine motor skills, science, & math. Due to being an only and having no family near us (they are in other states) we started preschool at age 2. We thought he had books memorized. In pre-K 3 the teacher pulled us aside after 2 weeks to tell us that she "didn't think she was going to be able to teach our son anything new as he was a fluent reader." We kept in for socialization. We started hooked on phonics at home and he finished 2nd grade by age 4 1/2. Instead of attending pre-K 4 we switched preschools and did a kinder-bridge despite him being too young by 6 months. It was the best for him. His teachers gave him kindergarten stuff and let him read. We pursued outside testing to help us with our kindergarten decision. His IQ is in the highly gifted range and every single achievement area was in the extremely gifted range. For a 4 year old 10 month he was achieving at the 2nd to 3rd grade level. However, socially he was shy and more typical. The school we are zoned to is has very few gifted and really doesn't do anything until 3rd grade. When we showed them his scores they said we should just skip him to 1st grade. They weren't going to offer anything else or support. The campus is considered a pretty poor & rough campus by some although its making progress...we just didn't see it as a fit putting a 5 year old with 7 year old since he was already going to be with mostly 6 year old... They didn't want to do any acceleration or differentiation in the kindergarten room. We were nervous on grade skipping since his b-day is already only 14 days before the cut-off, is shy, and socially just his age. So we applied for the neighboring districts GT magnet school but are over 1000 on their waiting list. Our district has 2 other schools with high GT population but unless you are zoned there you can't go there--no exceptions is what we were told. Attempted the very restrictive inter-district transfer and was denied. We also applied and got accepted to a science charter school which has a more enriching science focused curriculum. We met with the principal and were impressed as he said they've had 2 other kids like him before and they'd work with us. Then first day of school, there is a new principal. New guy is not as open as former and making us wait until they do their own GT testing--suppose to occur this coming week but is already 2 weeks delayed from original dates. We've talked with the teacher several times and she let us send chapter books with our son. She also said he'd be able to do the AR (accelerated reader) & AM (accelerated math) programs. These don't appear to have started yet which is adding to the frustration. We also just found out the results of the language development study our son was participating in with the local university--he has adult receptive language skills and high school expressive language skills. Our son loves his teachers but daily complains about having to repeat phonics & counting. Since we aren't seeing much more than social education/stimulation going on, we're not sure what to do....He loves his teacher but is bored. We all love the science focus of the school but aren't seen anything exciting yet for reading or math.

We've enrolled our son in the K-2 science class that is online from Northwestern University to further feed our son's interests. He sings in the children's choir at our church as they've encouraged it despite him being 2 years younger. We are considering enrolling him in a Spanish language class since he loves languages.

Is it common for people to have to supplement the schools?
    Is there a way to get the schools to do acceleration by subject instead of grade skips--suggestions or tips on what to say to get it moving faster?
    Is it common for schools to be so slow on GT? I know TX has lots of education & funding issues but compared to some states this seems horrible...
    Should we pursue the grade skip even though we don't think socially its right? I should add, our son is already the youngest on his campus and is the smallest in his class--2 girls on campus are smaller.
    Do we have to get him under the 504 umbrella with GT in order to get change to occur?
    Any tips or suggestions to help us better advocate at our child's school would be helpful!!! Its early in the school year but I don't want to waste the whole year.

Hello MomOf1.. Welcome! I can relate to some of your frustrations in having to wait for the school to do its own testing and delays in getting more appropriate materials for your son. frown Not many schools will have experience with highly gifted kids, and it takes a while for the teachers/principals to realize that they are really dealing with someone quite different. I see it as a good sign that the teacher is in regular communication with you and allows you to send chapter books.

"Is it common for people to have to supplement the schools?"
    It is fairly common for families who frequent this site. When our DS was in kindergarten, we had him do some online math at home so that he would get something at his level. You may hear the supplementation called "afterschooling". I think that if you are faced with very few school options, afterschooling is a fairly good way to address some portion of the areas that your child's missing in school.

"Is there a way to get the schools to do acceleration by subject instead of grade skips--suggestions or tips on what to say to get it moving faster?" This depends on your school and your advocacy skills. Does your district or school have any official policy on acceleration? Start there, if yes. Many times such policies are posted on the district websites. The Iowa Acceleration Scales are a useful objective tool to determine whether a student is a good candidate for grade or subject acceleration. IAS description and links on Hoagies
    I think that sometimes schools have never really thought of subject acceleration. You can start by asking the school about the possibility and whether there are any higher grades that teach the subject matter at the same time as your son's class; that would be the easiest solution.

"Is it common for schools to be so slow on GT? I know TX has lots of education & funding issues but compared to some states this seems horrible..."
    It's not so great anywhere, and probably slower before your child hits the usual 3rd grade level. There are pockets of exceptions, but many of us on these boards just learn that we'll have to be advocates from now on.

"Should we pursue the grade skip even though we don't think socially its right? I should add, our son is already the youngest on his campus and is the smallest in his class--2 girls on campus are smaller."
    If social reasons are the only reason you don't think a full grade skip is right for you, I recommend going through the IAS yourself too. The social reasons are just one part of the determination of whether a full grade skip is appropriate. Also, it seems that there is quite a range of appropriate social behavior in the next grade up, so unless your child is significantly behind, it's likely he'd fall within the range.

FWIW, my DS7 skipped 1st (Jan. bday) and was one of the smallest in his class before the skip. He's shot up over the summer, but still among the smallest. And now that he's in 3rd, many of the girls tower over all the boys. It doesn't seem to bother DS.

"Do we have to get him under the 504 umbrella with GT in order to get change to occur?"
    This will depend on the school district. I have no experience with the 504 process myself.

Good luck to you on your advocacy journey! It gets easier with practice. My advice is to keep the school principal/GT coordinator/teacher on your side as team members in the education of your child. It becomes harder if they get on the defensive. Even though GT stuff doesn't usually start until 3rd, hopefully you can convince the staff that your DS needs services now. We were able to get differentiation from our local school even though GT services didn't usually start until 3rd.

D
    D
    We supplement informally at home, rather than through a formal class, but then I'm a physician and have a good science background; DH loves "pop science," (science concepts, esp. physics, without the math, kind of), which is enough for DS for the time being.

AR and AM will help a lot -- anything self-paced will be a blessing. Since your teacher is okay with you sending in chapter books: We are sending in 4-5th grade level chapter books (on the same topics the class is doing in science) for DS to read during science class, teacher was okay with that. Yours may be too.

My DS6 was a poor candidate for grade-skip (can barely write a sentence and has attention/behavior issues), and we are in-class accelerating in math/reading/science. We wrote out DSs strengths/weaknesses/learning preferences, and also a plan for each subject we wanted acceleration for. We gave those to the teacher, who passed them along to the principal, who was wonderful. We were lucky. I recommend reading "Re-Forming Gifted Education" by Karen Rogers. It helped with the process and gave lots of concrete ideas.

Re the grade-skip -- one grade might not be enough. There's a tool called the Iowa Acceleration Scale, which helps determine whether a skip is appropriate. Also, see "A Nation Deceived," which comes in two volumes; it lays out the evidence for the benefits of grade-skipping:

http://www.accelerationinstitute.org/Nation_Deceived/ND_v1.pdf

http://www.accelerationinstitute.org/Nation_Deceived/ND_v2.pdf

How do you like the Northwestern U. science enrichment? Does DS learn anything he didn't already know? Is it worth the money?

Good luck!

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you!!!! Sometimes it feels like we are crazy. I've been reading all kinds of posts and definitely am seeing we are so not alone and that is a big relief.

I will definitely look into the IAS and seeing if even 1st or 2nd grade are teaching reading/math at the same time. We just are sensing new administration and wanting to follow some sort of policies of which I've not been able to find in the handbook or their website. And thank you for sharing your experience with grade skip with your son. Yes our concerns were more on social and physical size but like your son ours doesn't seem to care that he is smaller. Just worried that as he got older would that bother him more or still not. And thanks for pointing out its better to get/keep them on the side of our child instead of defensive. Guess that's why I came on here as I didn't want to step on toes or become "that pushy" parent where everyone runs from...

M
    OP Offline
    M
    The Northwestern science enrichment starts in January but we had to enroll now. We figured it was worth a try before doing any of the other acceleration programs from them. Plus we've exceed the store bought kits, snap circuits, pico board, & scratch programming....we figured something different was worth trying.

Just got an email from the school that starting November the whole campus will have access to online supplemental science materials for K through 5th. So maybe that will have some stuff at the upper grade levels. And they said they'll accept any transcripts from Northwestern. So will keep people posted on that program. They offer a lot more once kids are 2nd or 3rd grade but it was a much more affordable option than private school.

And thank you for the idea of an in-class acceleration plan by subject. That might just work at our son's school if approached that way.

D
    D
    Hooray for the online stuff! DS's been doing math that way at home (since it took 6 weeks to get a parent-teacher conference), and he loves it! It doesn't solve the problem of 5 hours of boredom at school every day, but your teacher might be willing to let him do that for 45 minutes a day or something.

pico -- I can not believe there's a science toy I haven't heard of! :-)

Edit: Curse you, Momof1gifted, I've been playing with scratch for the past 2 hours. Now it's 1 am. But DS is gonna love it!

Last edited by doclori; 10/09/11 10:02 PM.
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    My DH is a computer scientist thus scratch (which is totally free from MIT) and a pico board which is also discussed at MIT but completely interactive with scratch.

Again thanks for all the replies, it definitely helps us not feel all alone with a DS who is gt yet completely bored at school.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent