Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 460 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    So how do you go about getting a accurate score if they hit a ceiling? A different test?

Originally Posted by Jenniferok
    So how do you go about getting a accurate score if they hit a ceiling? A different test?

He hit a "soft ceiling". I didn't mean to imply that his score was not accurate. It is hard to know what would have happened if there had been more questions. Don't worry about it. I can't imagine a scenario where you'd do anything differently if his score was a point or two higher..

The only changes I've ever seen to IQ scoring is if a child hits 2 or is it 3 maximum subtest scores of 19 (or maybe 18) then extended scoring can be applied.

Originally Posted by Jenniferok
    In general testing one approach is to give a test with lots of 'headroom' - that's the idea behind the 'talent searches' that encourage parents of 7th and 8th graders to sign their kids up to take a SAT/ACT test that only counts for qualifying for the Search's educational programs.

But with IQ tests, there is no different test - (except in the case of 5 and 6 year olds taking WPPSI vs WISC) one generally just has to accept that the IQ tests aren't built to detail out the differences of kids in the top 2% of the population.

Hope that helps,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    T
    T
    Originally Posted by SiaSL
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Someday I'll invent a machine that you can strap on to each child's head before bed to measure if 'all is well' or not.

While we are dreaming, can you make it so that it spits out a diagnosis on what is wrong if it shows "not well" and suggestions on how to fix the issue?

You would make a killing with that thing wink
    I'll buy!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM