Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #112857 10/02/11 01:12 PM
    A
    annette Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    n/a

Last edited by annette; 06/07/12 06:56 PM.
    Originally Posted by annette
    What to do? The odds are that DS will never be in this situation, but....
    Let's be grateful for that - it's up to you. I wouldn't give a book about gifted, I think it is rude. Sort of like asking a girl out on a date and then taking her to the hairdresser to change her haircolor, yeah?

Your brother might be a better choice, but what would the ramifications of changing that now be? Perhaps not worth it?

Also have to wonder if that particular branch of the family is gifted but some 2E issues are lurking and making them seem bad at school?

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    M
    think from your son's perspective. I am sure that he would rather be with other gifted kids than with people who don't get it and would quite possibly not know what to do for him or wouldn't do anything for him at all kwim?

I am assuming you have made financial provision for whoever becomes his guardian, and I am sure that your brother would feel honoured to be able to do this for you.

having said that - let's hope it's never necessary smile

It's why we have only now started finalising our kid's guardians. Firstly we have three kids and secondly we needed to ensure its someone who will do their darndest to keep them going along their own paths with what they each need.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    C
    C
    I wouldn't worry too much about what Clueless had to say. And I wouldn't judge how his parents would behave as guardians because of HIS viewpoint.

It sounds to me like sour grapes and jealousy.

I deal with this first-hand. I have a 17-year-old stepdaughter who is not gifted and has trouble academically. She moved in with us full-time last year and her grades have really improved now that she is in a better home situation.

However, because of her own insecurities, it bugs her that DD7 is gifted and in a gifted program. She doesn't assert that I somehow "trained" DD to be gifted or that DD isn't doing anything unusual. My stepdaughter DOES claim that she could be gifted herself, though, and that she could have been in a gifted program, too, if her mom had handled things differently.

Um, no, she couldn't. She is a wonderful girl with many wonderful qualities, but she is not intellectually gifted.

When she makes those assertions, DH and I just mentally smile and roll our eyes and carry on. My guess is this cousin is just saying things to make himself feel better, like my stepdaughter, and is NOT making any assertions about the family position on gifted education.

The parents may not fight as hard as you would for your son's education, but then again, your brother might not, either (especially with so many other children requiring his attention). The fact is, no guardian is going to handle things exactly the way you would. But I wouldn't downgrade them based on something a know-it-all 20-something said.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by annette
    it made me wonder if my son's legal guardians should be his parents as neither they nor their children are gifted.

FWIW, DD8 would go to my BIL and his wife, who are both of normal intelligence and have normally-intelligent older kids, if something were to happen to us. She wouldn't go to my sister and her husband, who are both gifted and have a gifted kid about my kid's age. There's more to "fit" than intelligence, and even DD has agreed that she'd rather live with one set of aunt and uncle than the other.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years