Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 117 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    I went and met with the teacher and principal. They had given him an end of year math assessment that I didn't know about and he missed two questions. One on subtraction with regrouping and fractions. Both of these things he did last school year with no problems. They proceeded to tell me he has holes in his math knowledge and they are going to just expound on the current curriculum. They also said there is another child who is strong in math and that my DS gets frustrated because the other child "gets it faster" than him. They want to work on him getting faster with his math facts. The teacher is very nice and going o try teaching mental math tricks to increase speed. Has anyone seen this work/fail with a child like this?

Also, how do you go about getting a diagnosis for a learning disability? I really feel there might be something there just not sure what.

You may be interested in a book entitled:
    Developing Math Talent: A Guide for...earners in Math by Susan Assouline Ph.D.
    I don't have the book in front of me now, since I read it as a library book, but there was a good discussion in there about math fluency vs. mastery of abstract concepts. Gifted kids are known for excelling in mastering the concepts while lagging in recall of math facts. It even goes so far to say that while most kids improve their recall of math facts (or even their accuracy of simple calculations) with increased repetition, kids that are gifted in math actually decrease their accuracy with repetition. She calls it the "drill and kill" method. The more repetition they are asked to do, the more sloppy mistakes they make.

My son, DS11, is also one of those that thrives on advance concepts, but frequently makes simple mistakes with calculations. We fought for a subject acceleration in math for 3 years, and were never given it. DS11 recently scored in the 99.9% on brief math on the Woodcock-Johnson, but only 49% on math fluency.

Another point that may be of interest: How many questions were on the end of the year assessment? I.e. What percentage did he miss? It is not required for a child to earn a 100% on an end of year test to show mastery. Does anyone know if the commonly accepted percentage is about 80%-85% to show mastery?
    Hope this helps some!

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM