Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 225 guests, and 33 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Mom2MrQ #112156 09/20/11 04:59 PM
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Mom2MrQ
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    If time is a major issue for him, you also might want to consider an out of level SAT-10 b/c it is untimed whereas the ITBS is timed. There are suggested time limits on the SAT, but the child can exceed them with no penalty. They both test about the same thing.

Where can I find information on doing this?

DYS was another reason I was considering the Explore, not that we're guaranteed to make the cut, of course. He qualifies with his WISC scores, but he was one point off on achievement. This was because of his out-of-whack math scores --due to it being timed. I was hoping to take the easy route and avoid the portfolio.
    Just to be clear, the SAT-10 I was mentioning is not the SAT that you take for college admission or through talent search. It is a grade level achievement test just like the ITBS. I was suggesting that you give him a higher grade level than his actual grade like the 4th grade version or something maybe not as high as the EXPLORE if you wanted to split the difference.

You could give it to him yourself if you qualify to administer it. For the ITBS, my recall is that there are limited requirements like a Bachelors degree in anything. For the SAT-10, I believe that the qualification to administer it is a Bachelors in anything plus some course work in testing and assessment or a training that is provided through the groups that market it to homeschoolers. The places you can order it from range from Bob Jones to Triangle Educational Assessments. You could also pay someone else to administer one of these types of tests.

For DYS application purposes, I don't think that either the ITBS or SAT-10 alone will do it without a portfolio, though, b/c they aren't among the tests they have listed.

Mom2MrQ #112163 09/20/11 06:36 PM
    Mom2MrQ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you for the input. All information and opinions have been helpful.

Mom2MrQ #112487 09/26/11 09:38 AM
    M
    M
    I think it really depends on your child. My DD took the Explore at age 9 (4th grade). The results were useful to me (not so much to the school, but that's another issue.) Given her personality, I'm glad we didn't have her take it in 3rd grade and almost wish we would have waited another year. She doesn't do well in pressure situations and dislikes tests.

DD was one of those kids who walked into and came out of the test in tears. She was emotionally exhausted. Not so much because she didn't know the answers, but because of the testing situation - it was a strange place with strange people and she gets really anxious before tests.

Mom2MrQ #112590 09/27/11 07:47 PM
    C
    C
    My son first took the Explore right around his 8th birthday, and it was a positive experience. (He was a grade-skipped 3rd grader.). He took it to allow him to do summer programs with CTD. We were concerned, too, that he would get frustrated, but since he knew it would be hard he was OK.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM