Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 173 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    A
    A
    Yes, your DS would be considered profoundly gifted.

A 156 GAI is above the 99.9th percentile for the population.

I suggest you look through the Davidson database, and browse through threads on this forum. There are many parents here who have been where you are now. You've found the right place.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Gypsy
    Originally Posted by herenow
    Gypsy-be sure to search on DYS here on the forum. You may want your daughter to take the Explore test this year -- it is a relatively inexpensive achievement test through your regional talent search.

How would this benefit her?

It would help her to qualify for talent search programs that could provide for some great opportunities to be with other gifted kids learning and doing things that she would probably greatly enjoy and that she might otherwise not have access to.

Here's a link to information on what level of giftedness is indicated by certain scores on various ability tests:
    http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/highly_profoundly.htm

As you can see, a score on the WISC-IV of 152-160 can be considered profoundly gifted. Of course, other things can come into play as well. Some people think an intense drive to learn things can be the difference between a highly or exceptionally gifted child and a truly profoundly gifted child, but others acknowledge that some very gifted individuals do a very good job trying their best to hide their abilities in an effort to fit in.

Certainly, your DS's scores indicate at least HG+ (highly gifted plus) with the possibility of being "more." I think an application to DYS is certainly in order.

Also, as someone else mentioned was the case for them, we were told skips don't happen in our district. That changed with my DD when they saw it was necessary to best meet her needs. And, in fact, the skip was so successful that they have ended up doing several other skips since then, including for my DS. So, don't take no for an answer without a meeting or two (or three).

She thought she could, so she did.
    G
    Gypsy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    I'm trying not to fixate on the numbers, but at this point I can't help it. I need to understand as much as possible what those numbers mean.

Is a GAI of 156 comparable to an IQ of 156?

If no, why? Does GAI have a bell curve that I could look at or are there percents or rarity (for lack of a better word) statistics I can see?

Thanks!

A
    A
    The GAI is a measure of reasoning ability that places less emphasis on working memory and processing speed than the FSIQ does. Both are measured using standard scores, and have a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 15. In terms of the bell curve, the numbers indicate the same degree of rarity - a GAI of 156 is as rare as a FSIQ of 156, by definition.

Your child's GAI falls more than three standard deviations above the mean. This is very rare.

Your child's PSI falls less than one standard deviation above the mean. Processing speed could be a "bottleneck" for your child, limiting how well he can demonstrate what he is capable of and how easily people will recognize his potential.

You might find this link helpful.

Last edited by aculady; 09/25/11 10:21 PM. Reason: clarification
    G
    Gypsy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    I was very confused by those charts, so I printed them out and I understand them now!

I think so, anyways.

Because his raw score in vocabulary was 37, I found that range under VC, then follow it all the way to the left to see 20, yes?

So that brings his VC to 58 and his PR stays the same at 48.

58 + 48 = 106

If I plug 106 into page 16 I get a GAI of 157. Correct?

I met with the principal yesterday and gave her ds's test scores. After her eyes bugged out a bit and she took a minute to collect her thoughts she said "I'm going to need to talk to the superintendent and school board to see how we can accommodate him".

I think that's good, right?

Originally Posted by Gypsy
    I met with the principal yesterday and gave her ds's test scores. After her eyes bugged out a bit and she took a minute to collect her thoughts she said "I'm going to need to talk to the superintendent and school board to see how we can accommodate him".

I think that's good, right?
    That's a very good first step.
    A lot of us didn't get past the 'I hate it when parents get their kid's IQ tested 'cause then they think the child is gifted or something' sort of attitude. Having an ally can make all the difference.

Or the results may be underwhelming.

Either way - document, document, document

Send an email thanking the Principle for the meeting and mentioning what the next step is and writing down what you heard her say, and asking her to confirm that that is what she remembers saying.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM