Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 105 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    I apologize ahead of time for my ignorance in the area of tests and scoring. I'm trying to learn and make sense of all of this!

My DD was given the DAS. Does the IQ score from that test translate differently to a Stanford Binet or Weschler score?

Also, I know the PPVT is not an IQ test but do her scores correlate to IQ?

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    S
    S
    My son got the WISC at 6 years 9 months (school setting) and the DAS at 7 years 3 months (private assessment) while we explored the possibility of learning disabilities. The WISC could not be repeated in that time frame, and in some ways I am a bit sorry we didn't wait longer because there are such wild swings between the verbal scores on those two tests the combination of all results was even more confusing (perceptual/visual remained pretty stable in the bright range and so did working memory in the impaired range, which didn't seem to bother anybody).

I am still trying to figure out if the comprehension subtest of the DAS is even comparable to the comprehension subtest of the WISC, since my son went from 50th to 99.9th percentile between the two tests.

I am also starting to wonder how much tester bias influences all that testing (not necessarily only IQ/achievement, but all neuropsychological assessments), in my most paranoid moments.

S
    S
    I'll also note that the DAS seems to be considered a more fine grained tool for assessing kids for learning disabilities than the WISC. What was the contest of your testing?

Originally Posted by SiaSL
    since my son went from 50th to 99.9th percentile between the two tests.

I am also starting to wonder how much tester bias influences all that testing (not necessarily only IQ/achievement, but all neuropsychological assessments), in my most paranoid moments.

Wow. That's one wild swing. I, too, wonder about testing. I've decided to think of it as a "snapshot of my child's abilities on a particular day and dc's ability on that day to show them to the tester"

Last edited by herenow; 09/26/11 11:28 AM. Reason: Not sure I said what I thought I said
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Originally Posted by SiaSL
    I'll also note that the DAS seems to be considered a more fine grained tool for assessing kids for learning disabilities than the WISC. What was the contest of your testing?

She was just a little over the 3 at the time of testing. We took her in for an evaluation for behavior issues. I had no idea they would give her an IQ test so it all came as a surprise to me. She (now almost 4) just did the PPVT a couple weeks ago as part of a speech eval for auditory processing issues.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Originally Posted by Grinity

That does help me understand the comparisons a little better. Thank you!

Originally Posted by utkallie
    She was just a little over the 3 at the time of testing. We took her in for an evaluation for behavior issues.
    Did the behavior issues resolve? Did the DAS shed light on what was causing the behavior?

U
    OP Offline
    U
    The psychologist said her behaviors were most likely attributed to high IQ. She is a perfectionist and very intense child. I really have no idea what to do to help her!

Transforming the Difficult Child Workbook: An Interactive Guide to The Nurtured Heart Approach [Perfect Paperback]
    Lisa Bravo (Author),

Billed as a parenting book for parents of children who are 'Extra-Intense, Extra-Sensitive, OR Emotionally Needy'

Mine is 15 now, and a 'gentleman' most of the time - but he certianly qualified for all three of the above. (which is why I asked - it was so hard to find a 'disipline book' that didn't make things worse!)

We've got lots of suggestions from BTDT Moms and Dads.

If your DD was in Daycare with agemates did you stick with it or find a place that fit her better?

Search 'Sleep' and 'Argue' and 'OverExcitabilities' - at the very least you'll see you aren't alone!

Smiles,
    Grinity

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs