Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #106650 07/09/11 05:36 PM
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Well my twin DD6's grade 1 class is doing Space for the next 10 weeks at school. As extension work, they usually skip the generic homework and the teacher gets them to delve further into the terms topic. Last term it was dinosaurs, so they thrived with little weekly mini projects on dinosaurs, prehistoric periods, paleontology, evolution and just loved it. Space, however, is not a love of mine or theirs. 10 weeks = 20 weekly mini space projects for the two of them and we've discussed it and are stumped after a few. We need to be careful that the projects are extension work and not just covering the in class space topics of planets etc. Any tips? One daughter did have a good idea that she is currently working on--> preparing a space meal for an astronaut that is easily edible in zero gravity ( any tips on that one? Or others? Greatly appreciated)

S
    S
    A book that you might want to look into is George's Secret Key to the Universe. I don't know if it will give you ideas for projects but it is a fun book by Lucy and Steven Hawking.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    For each planet that they study they could design either a vehicle that could land on it and take samples of the planet and explain what sort of feet the vehicle would need, the type of material it would need to have in order to withstand the conditions and what sort of items it might find in its samples.

They could research more about gravity, since all planets have it and make models comparing how heavy an everyday item would be on each different planet (for example a bar of soap) and they could make other "bars of soap" from other materials with the correct weight for each planet - it would give their classmates a great understanding of how different the planets are.

They could research about the new Mars rover that is supposed to be launched in the fall, I think it is named Curiosity. Then they could compare it with the other older rovers that have already gone to Mars, in terms of its size, how much stuff it is able to do, the type of things it can do, etc.

They could also look into exoplanets (planets that have been found in other solar systems) - there is tons of brand new stuff coming out about a bunch of new ones recently found

There is also a website that used to be called galaxy zoo 2 where they can go and look at and help classify galaxies. (It is really cool and my DD8 loved to try and fit the galaxies into a category when she was in grade 1.) It is "real" science that is being done as we speak too, which gives it more of a draw for some kids.

I'm sure I can think of more if you need them. grin We are space nuts here!

O
    O
    These might be helpful, but may not be projects.

http://www.georgessecretkey.com/useful-links/

http://spaceplace.nasa.gov/
    if you google nasa there are lots of links.

http://www.skyviewcafe.com/skyview.php

https://secure.brainpop.com/science/space/ (you can get a free trial here, there are lots of space related movies

Last edited by onthegomom; 07/09/11 08:22 PM.
    Wow, sounds like you have a great class! All my son did in first grade space was the solar system. He was dying to do more, but that was all they covered. I'm jealous!

Kate

A
    OP Offline
    A
    thanks guys, lots of great inspiration there. It is times like these that having twins both in the same extension group is a challenge. Loving the weights on different planets idea.

Last edited by chris1234; 09/22/11 12:12 PM.
    D
    D
    A trip to the planetarium, check out a book on star maps and put the night sky from the month they were born in those glow in the dark stars on their ceiling, figuring out how much they would weigh on each planet.

B
    B
    There's a great book by Rosalind Mist called Solar System, with Things to Do tips and activites on nearly every third page; my son used that in Grade 1, after meeting an astronaut, to type a report to read to his class. He also liked the Mickey/Disney Guide to the Universe book his grandma got him; it spurred him to go online and find out more about blackholes.

If you have a Center of Science and Industry-COSI or Carnegie Science Center type of hands-on place for kids near you, look into their sleepover programs; ie: spend the night in a giant ear, or sleep in your sleeping bag in the dinosaur room. They often have "sleep under the stars, indoors" in their planetariums. Dinner, and a lecture is usually included in the program fee.

Check into a local university; many with even rudimentrary astronomy programs have decent planetariums. Kids can take class trips, or the astronomer in residence can come to their classroom, or auditorium. They often have traveling hologram/graphic presentations and virtual reality/interactive demos they can do, which are pretty darn cool (no matter what your age).

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations