Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    LNEsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Hi everyone, I am researching testers in my area (Chicago metro) and wonder if you have any advice or suggestions for finding one that is experienced enough to recognize whether my DS8's fine motor skill/motor planning/sensory processing issues are influencing his results and his school performance.

I guess I would ask about their experience, but also from reading through the forums here it seems that 2E kids demonstrate some unusual patterns in IQ scoring sometimes? But I am a bit unclear as to what those patterns would be and how they would differ from a kid who is not dealing with such issues? And if 2E is suspected, should I ask for something in addition to the IQ test? I don't want to put him through a full neuropsych eval if it isn't necessary. Do you think the IQ patterns (the edpsych I have talked to said he would administer the WISC-IV) would give us enough info to decide if a neuropsych is in order?

Thanks for your time. I have a million questions and no one to ask them of IRL! Also, if you live in the Chicago area, the testers I am looking at are Mark McKee in Naperville, Kelly S. Johnson in Warrenville, and possibly Elizabeth Mika in Gurnee (although that is rather far away from us and I don't think she is a Psy.D.) Any info/experiences would be appreciated!

B
    B
    Hello, I'm also in the Chicago area, but have not used a tester yet, but I am also looking.
    The following thread started be Grinity, awhile ago (no dates anymore???????????) has comments on
    Elizabeth Mika (page1), Mark McKee (page 3), and Dr. Jerry Schecter is in Skokie, IL (page 4)

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/36728/1.html

Also a list stared by Grinity is below. We are thinking of Going to Amend then as needed to one of the above local counselors.

Amend Psychological Services in Kentucky
    Gifted Development Center in Denver Silverman
    Belin-Blank Center in Iowa
    Mc Kee Mark M and Duff Jennifer in Naperville

there is a google map of above

B
    B
    ps Amend is one of the authors of James Webb's "Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnosis of Gifted Children and Adults"

L
    LNEsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks so much barbarajean, this is really helpful!

We just tested with Dr. Amend last month and he is WONDERFUL. I highly recommend Dr. Ed.

L
    LNEsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks so much for the info on testers. I was leaning towards Dr. McKee, have spoke to him a couple of times on the phone already, so it is nice to hear him mentioned positively here. Amend sounds great but I think between the travel and the hourly rates, it would be a bit more $$ than we should spend.

Does anyone have any thoughts on my other questions about how 2E manifests within the testing and scores? From what I've read, it seems like a significant variation in subtest scores suggests a possible LD? But couldn't someone just be really good at math and not so good at verbal, for example?

Also, it is possible that for my DS there won't be much of an effect. We are still figuring out his difficulties, but it seems to me like part of his motor planning challenges are visual. So he can read fine, but he has to concentrate to make the words "hold still" and often loses his place on the page and tires out quickly. He also can become frustrated if there are too many words on the page. I find this very frustrating because, while he absolutely LOVES to be read to and listens and comprehends stories way above his grade level, he doesn't have much stamina for reading on his own. I have looked into vision therapy for him, but it is REALLY expensive and it seems like there is some controversy over whether it actually does anything.

However, these issues may not come into play at all with an IQ or other standardized tests since it is a more compact kind of reading.

A
    A
    Occupational therapy with an OT who specialized in rehabilitating the visual system was extremely helpful for my son who had problems with visual-motor control and fine motor planning. His motor issues didn't go away with the targeted visual therapies, (they have improved a great deal with other PT and OT) but his improved tracking and convergence and figure-ground discrimination, and his decreased left-sided visual neglect made reading much, much easier and more fluent.

Some strategies that we used that you might find helpful for accommodation while you work on remediation include using large print books, using strategies to help him isolate a single line on the page, such as magnifying rulers, reading highlight strips , or a 4 x 6 card with a slot cut in it so that only a single line of type appears at a time. Irlen colored overlays might also be useful.

HTH

L
    LNEsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks aculady! I was actually thinking of trying the index card cut out, but I didn't know they had those other products! I was also thinking of letting him use my Kindle and adjusting the type size so that only 2 or 3 lines show at a time (I think you can do that).

DS just started OT in August but then we got interrupted because of switching insurance so we have to get that straightened out AND switch therapists (Ugh!). But when we get back on track, I am going to discuss the visual issues with the new OT. I am encouraged to hear that it was helpful for your son!

It makes me so sad because reading is such a joy to me and I know it would otherwise be for him. Even at 8 he absolutely loves to be read to and I know its because reading is so physically exhausting for him. My DH had similar problems as a child that were never corrected or even acknowledged and to this day gets very little enjoyment from reading. frown Trying to prevent this for DS!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations